Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Silverone858 estate pipe collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverone858

Here's my collection of estate pipes, the ones I have cleaned and are back in service. Most of these pipes were had for 10$ or less including shipping which I think is a steal for what you get!
My process for cleaning mostly came from reborn pipes and I streamlined for my needs. I don't bother trying to get every scratch out or even worry about dings on top of the bowl, they are battle wounds of an old soldier. Also I'm not interested in selling them so I probably come at this from a different standpoint than some.
First thing I do is ream the bowl and a dowl with sand paper (220) then smooth with (600) then run a bristol brush in the shank with grain alcohol. Then a bristol pipe cleaner with grain alcohol in the stem. Then I do a retort take apart and repeat until the alcohol comes out clean and so far it seems 3 cycles has cleaned the nastiest one to my satisfaction. The stem gets wet sanded from 800 to 12000 until it's smooth Then I will polish with carnauba wax and put Obsidian oil on the stem.

The first pipe I cleaned is a neat little white briar kaywoodie 12b with the diamond saddle and 4 hole stinger. Some people don't like these but I think they are cool. The stem was brown it was oxidized so bad, I thought it was supposed to be that color at first hahaha.
free upload imagecertificity.com
uploadimagecertificity.com
images hostingcertificity.com
image sharing sitescertificity.com
free jpeg imagescertificity.com
This pipe smokes really well and I will likely never do anything else but smoke it! Cleaning took about 4 hours since I had to figure it all out for the first time,
Please excuse the camera. I didn't take great pictures since I really didn't think I was going to put them on display any where. They will get better as I go along.
Geoff

Silverone858

This one is a kaywoodie relief meerschaum 138, it was part of a 4 pipe lot and it was the nastiest one I have. The meerschaum lining was gone and the stinger was cut off and I didn't like the color. I thought it was a good pipe to use for practice and if I screw it up who cares. So I used about 2 bundles of bristol pipe cleaners and a 1/4 bottle of grain alcohol to get it clean. Then I cut a tooth brushes bristles short and scrubbed with alcohol and then sanded with 600 and topped and rounded the bowl then applied black leather die and flamed it. After it cooled down I lightly sanded with 800 wet and got a cool copper grainy look that I really like. I didn't know what to do to Polish it and I don't necessarily love super shiny, I heated up the bowl with a heat gun and wiped it down with coconut oil about 5 times. The pipe is small but the bowl is big! I really like how it came out!
adult photo sharingcertificity.com
upload
certificity.com
upload piccertificity.com
gifs uploadcertificity.com
pic uploadcertificity.com
pic hostcertificity.com
screen capture windows 7certificity.com
Oh and bonus is that when the bowl gets hot I can smell the coconut! Thanks for looking!
Geoff

greenmonster714

Very nice. Ya know, now that you've shared all this information I will be picking your brain..lol. You do a good job Geoff. Thanks for sharing this. I been looking for it and hope to see more.
Funny_Pictures_8461.jpg

Silverone858

This one is a kaywoodie signet with the 3 hole stinger, which people really seem to hate why? I don't know. The pipe is small, bowl is small but the draw seems pretty nice and all the aluminum kept the smoke cool. This pipe wasn't extremely dirty but did take awhile to clean and I burned the crap out of my fingers when I did the retort (that chunk of aluminum got hot fast!) I touched up the top of the bowl and then decided to wet sand the whole thing to smooth the wood and aluminum. I liked the look(and smell) of the coconut oil and thought I would try it on the natural wood. I have a bar of carnauba wax, I shaved some pieces into a cup and added some coconut oil. Then heated up the bowl and rubbed the mixture in, about 3 times heating between. The wood soaked it up and keeps getting darker the more I do it!
upload a gifcertificity.com
jpg imagescertificity.com
free picture uploadcertificity.com
Wish I took more pictures. I will probably hit it a few more times with that mix and see if it gets even darker.
Geoff

Silverone858

Hahaha that's my little bear! I had 2 ferrets a long time ago, Princess and Little bear. Little bear would grab your ankles as you walked by if you didn't play with her. I saw this and had to have it.
upload an imagecertificity.com
Thanks for checking out my horde, there's like 8(omg) more. Spoiler alert only 2 aren't kaywoodie lol there's a yellow bole (I know made by kaywoodie but it counts!) and a Straus sunrise II which I couldn't find much on so if anyone knows about these I could use the info.
Geoff

greenmonster714

More the better. I like seeing other folks collections. Sometimes I see something I may be interested in for myself so I can find it on Ebay (the evil site).

Charly

You did a good job cleaning these pipes Silverone ! Congratulations :)

Silverone858

So I have to put out a service announcement hahaha, this Straus sunrise II was going to be the next pipe I put up but it seems like you shouldn't retort a pipe with an acrylic stem
image uploadercertificity.com
It smells pretty bad and the heat just barely melted a tiny bit of the inside of the button. The airway is clear and after a little while I checked to see if the stem would come out and it seems fine. I'm sure I can clean up the button but I'm worried the smell won't go away. Shame on me lol!
Geoff

Silverone858

I went to a lab supply to buy the test tube and home depot for the brass fitting and rubber hose, under 5 bucks. It has worked great.
This morning I tried to smell if there was any plastic smell and it seems to be gone.
This pipe is cool and was less than 10$ I'm going to do something fun maybe blue dye or something different. The briar isn't especially remarkable so if I make it ugly it will still be a good smoker!
Geoff

Silverone858

Do be careful though, anyone trying a retort. All you need is a candle to boil the alcohol since it boils at a lower temp than water, but it will "burp" sometimes and may throw out the cotton ball and may burn hands or possibly worse(flammable liquid). anyway my nastiest estate pipe came super clean with no ghosts after 3 or 4 times in a span of maybe 30 min. I could see briar in the The bottom of the bowl!
Geoff

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Do be careful though, anyone trying a retort....
In terms of safety, using a retort for cleaning a pipe reminds me of the home-made tobacco shredder made from an old reel lawn mower powered by a pulley drive. Boy, did that thing shred tobacco! (I believe it's posted on the HTGT forum, if you want to make yourself cringe.) So I heartily second the caution.

I do believe it's important to expend the effort to sanitize an "estate" pipe, since someone else sucked on it for a decade or six.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.