Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Some questions about Cavendish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverone858

Hello guys and gals, I have been enjoying the information on this site and I'm sure I will love the WLT from the store I have been trying to research ways to make cavendish. The thread by deluxestogie is a great tutorial and I have seen others too. My questions are about the tools and setup, I think I understand what needs to happen my questions are more about set up and ingredients.

1) Virginias seem to be preferred for Cavendish (I think?) what about other types? Burleys or even cigar types?
2) I have found 1 or 2 posts or videos talking about stoving/steaming with rum or whiskey but most seem to use water. Is steaming with alcohol not desirable? I don't plan on casing after steaming.
3) the steamer, I plan to do this outside on my BBQ side burner or maybe a electric element. Has anyone tried something like these?
free screenshot softwarecertificity.com
free image hostcertificity.com
Something like this would seem as easy as a crock pot, though I'm sure it couldn't be.
image urlcertificity.com
4) what about heat+pressure? Say a heated press of some type? Low heat for long periods of time?
I would like to make a lot at one time and also separate different kinds of leaves, while keeping additives to a minimum. I'm hoping to blend in the characteristics that suit me instead of using casings. If that is reasonable.
Any help will be great! I'm hoping to start collecting WLT and the steamer in 4-6 weeks. And probably build a few press that will handle the leaf I steam.
Thank you in advance for all suggestions!
Geoff

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Virginia is preferred for Cavednish because of its sugar content. The sugars (in the leaf), when subjected to heat will morph in to a candy like tasting substance. Burleys do not have sugar so you would not get the sweetness like you would from a Virginia.
The absolute easiest way to make Cavendish is to use a pressure cooker. Pack some moist Virginia into a mason jar and cook it for 4 to 8 hrs. You will then have candy in a jar. Chinavoodoo started a good post on the subject.

Edit: Here is the link
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...dish-v2-0?highlight=cavendish+pressure+cooker

Last edited:

Silverone858

Thank you for that link. I saw it before I was a member and couldn't find it again. I read threads by deluxestogie and jojjas and they both had great discussions about what they were doing. I'll read through this and hopefully have enough info to try my own.
Geoff

ChinaVoodoo

Virginia is preferred for Cavednish because of its sugar content. The sugars (in the leaf), when subjected to heat will morph in to a candy like tasting substance. Burleys do not have sugar so you would not get the sweetness like you would from a Virginia.
The absolute easiest way to make Cavendish is to use a pressure cooker. Pack some moist Virginia into a mason jar and cook it for 4 to 8 hrs. You will then have candy in a jar. Chinavoodoo started a good post on the subject.

Edit: Here is the link
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...dish-v2-0?highlight=cavendish+pressure+cooker
Re. Pressure cooker Cavendish
So far, my experience has prevents me from holding 15lbs pressure any longer than 4.5 hrs. I did 5 hours once. Anything beyond 4.5 starts to impede flamability of the tobacco. I usually just make dark brown cav at 3 hours. I suppose you could go longer but you'd only be making a blending component; you couldn't smoke it on its own. An exception would be some thinner lower quality tobaccos; they tend to darken more slowly.

I understand threads sometimes get confusing after they get really long, so here's the gist of the pressure cooker cav v.2 thread.

Pack as much tobacco as you can into a jar. Put in enough water to saturate it, (as much as the tobacco can hold, but no more).
FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS WHICH CAME WITH YOUR PRESSURE COOKER!!, Pressure cook for as long as you like at 15 lbs pressure. Every tobacco is different. Try different parameters next time.

Tip: Dry with intention. You've gelatinized the starches and it is slow to dry naturally. If you weighed the tobacco before adding water, you'll know when you've done drying it enough.

Silverone858

Ok thank you for your help Chinavoodoo I'm going back and rereading your original thread and deluxestogies there's a few more. I'm going to start buying parts and pieces to make this happen!
Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.