Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Are these ready for the garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

Good :)
I wonder, how much space you left between the plants in the raised bed ?

I will soon put my plants in the ground too, but I let them grow a little bit more, I want them to have enough strengh :)

The distance between each row is 18 inches. Within the row, the distance is about the same.

mwaller

I couldn't resist planting a few more...
2 x Havana 142 in front, 2 x Florida Sumatra on the right. 1 x Corojo 99 in back (not showing)

Attachments

• IMG_20170507_183411459.jpg
    IMG_20170507_183411459.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 7

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Those tiny tobacco transplants will grow into 5-6 foot tall plants with 1-1/2 inch diameter stalks, and 2 foot leaves extending in all directions. They seem a bit close.

Bob

greenmonster714

I just read Bob's comment as if he was loudly describing the growth of a small seedling into a large sprawling giant. Then slowly leans forward and whispers....they seem a bit close....lol

Did I read into that or what? Just made me chuckle a bit.

mwaller

Those tiny tobacco transplants will grow into 5-6 foot tall plants with 1-1/2 inch diameter stalks, and 2 foot leaves extending in all directions. They seem a bit close.

Bob

Bob, that's a good point. This particular spot is a bit of an experiment to see if tobacco will even grow there. The soil is pretty bad, and it stays quite damp. I added some compost and fertilizer to improve it a bit, but I'm not expecting much.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would watch them for about 2 to 3 weeks, then heartlessly uproot the weakest of each variety in those spots. I have no doubt that they will grow there, as is. But with all the other competition for root space, a single tobacco plant per spot will give the survivors their best chance.

Bob

mwaller

Bob
Would little Dutch do better​ with this kind of spacing? Also, is it worth trying to plant where there is only filtered sunlight?

greenmonster714

Would little Dutch do better​ with this kind of spacing? Also, is it worth trying to plant where there is only filtered sunlight?

I do believe I read a thread by Bob where he grew some Little Dutch. I'm pretty sure he set them at about 2.5ft apart. I may be wrong but it seems like I just read the thread the other day. I've got about 25 of them to put out this year. I hope to get some nice wrapper/binder leaves.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing little about Little Dutch is its height. The stalk is massively thick, and the large leaves are spaced more closely on the stalk. Like all tobacco varieties, it can be placed as closely as you choose, but for Little Dutch to grow to full-size plants, they seem to need at least 3.75 ft[sup]2[/sup] per plant.

Bob

mwaller

Thanks to some of the comments here, I planned ahead for slug control. But I didn't expect squirrels to be a problem! This morning I discovered that the local squirrel population has been digging in my raised bed and depositing peanuts there. Typically, this wouldn't be a problem, but they have been digging so enthusiastically that a few of my seedlings have been covered in dirt. Go figure...

Brown Thumb

I had a talk with them and they reassured me that it won't happen again.:D

vinconco

Can someone explain in a little more detail giving the seedlings a "haircut" I have about 200 seedlings in cell flats that are getting a little large and I can't put them out for about a week.

mwaller

Here was Bob's recommendation when I asked a similar question. Just clip the large outer leaves - don't touch the new leaves in the center of the plant.
Use a sharp scissor to clip ~2/3 of each leaf that shades a neighbor. Wait for ideal weather projected for at least a week.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.