Are these ready for the garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinconco

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Clipping the Leaves
When: whenever leaves in a seedling tray are shading their neighbors. Once I begin clipping, I usually have to repeat it weekly, give or take a few days.

Why: to allow all the seedlings to get sufficient light. Clipping is a form of leaf damage that the plant responds to, as though insects were munching the leaves. The stalk thickens, the roots grow more, and produce more nicotine, and the slower plants have an opportunity to catch up with the faster ones.

Commercially, clipping (which is performed with a lawnmower moved along a rack above the float trays) allows a tobacco farmer to hold seedlings in the float trays longer, while awaiting suitable weather for transplanting.

I use a sharp scissor, selecting and clipping individual leaves. This requires about 5 minutes per 1020 tray of 48 plants.

Bob

vinconco

Clipping the Leaves
When: whenever leaves in a seedling tray are shading their neighbors. Once I begin clipping, I usually have to repeat it weekly, give or take a few days.

Why: to allow all the seedlings to get sufficient light. Clipping is a form of leaf damage that the plant responds to, as though insects were munching the leaves. The stalk thickens, the roots grow more, and produce more nicotine, and the slower plants have an opportunity to catch up with the faster ones.

Commercially, clipping (which is performed with a lawnmower moved along a rack above the float trays) allows a tobacco farmer to hold seedlings in the float trays longer, while awaiting suitable weather for transplanting.

I use a sharp scissor, selecting and clipping individual leaves. This requires about 5 minutes per 1020 tray of 48 plants.

Bob

Great answer Bob !! Thanks.

mwaller

After a few partially sunny days, our overcast drizzly weather returned today. The plants seem to be enjoying it!

Attachments

• IMG_20170511_180403391.jpg
    IMG_20170511_180403391.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 7

mwaller

I do see that some of the leaves have developed some yellow highlights. Is this typical after transplant?

mwaller

These plants are really testing my patience! They've remained relatively unchanged for the last week. The weather has been cool and overcast with occasional showers and sun breaks.
On Wednesday, we are expected to see some warmer, drier weather (high's around 70F). Should I expect more growth when the weather warms?

After a few partially sunny days, our overcast drizzly weather returned today. The plants seem to be enjoying it!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Transplants usually undergo transplantation shock for a week or three, then their rate of growth dramatically increases. They like warm weather better than cold weather, or so they whisper in my ear. As long as they are not dead or dying, then you're good.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

These plants are really testing my patience! They've remained relatively unchanged for the last week. The weather has been cool and overcast with occasional showers and sun breaks.
On Wednesday, we are expected to see some warmer, drier weather (high's around 70F). Should I expect more growth when the weather warms?

Last year my back yard patch didn't grow for a few weeks, whereas the front yard patch started growing much sooner. I deduced that the rain and my feet packed down the soil more in the back. It might have just been the cool weather, but I pitch forked around and under them. In the end, the plants in the back patch took off and out performed the front.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
When I transplant they're always pretty root bound. I consider the first couple weeks root growing time. My first bed is planted already and then we had nonstop dry, windy sunny weather. They didn't wilt once and weren't watered. That's the roots doing their thing.

Just let them be unless you see them wilted in the evening

mwaller

Thanks, guys! I'm really excited to see what happens over the next few weeks. The forecast is finally looking up - only 1 day of rain projected over the next two weeks! Otherwise, partly sunny and pleasant. The weeds are certainly loving it...

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I consider the first couple weeks root growing time.

The growth of tobacco is divided in to 3 phases. The first phase lasts about 4 weeks and the plant spends most of its energy putting down roots. The next phase is the Rapid growth phase and finally at roughly 60 days the Reproductive phase kicks in.

greenmonster714

Thanks, guys! I'm really excited to see what happens over the next few weeks. The forecast is finally looking up - only 1 day of rain projected over the next two weeks! Otherwise, partly sunny and pleasant. The weeds are certainly loving it...

Good news. Can't wait for ya to post some garden pics.

mwaller

Ok, so I just weeded and amended another section of our yard that is relatively dry, well drained and in full sun. I have room for 3-4 more plants. What variety would you recommend? I have available: Corojo 99, Criollo 98, Vuelta Abajo, Florida Sumatra, Havana 142, and little Dutch. I'm most in rich, cuban-like cigars. Thanks!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Please save a lot of the corojo 99 seed, I know a few people including myself that want this strain for next year and it's not available on nwtseeds afaik.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
What?? I thought he didn't have that seed, omfg how did I miss that. Well if he's growing f it, I'm just getting the finished product now.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.