Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Re: Are these ready for the garden?

The leaves I sampled were indeed kilned for 4 weeks at 128F. Is this an appropriate temperature?
    I had my soil tested at the beginning of the season. There was nothing too surprising or out of whack; nitrogen was a bit low, so I added some 'natural' type fertilizers and compost. I had read that tobacco really likes potash, so I periodically added kelp meal and other slow-release amendments that add K.
    If any of you 'experts' are willing to play Dr. Tobacco, I'd be happy to send some samples for comment and/or diagnosis.
    I'm honestly no sure what I would do differently next year, and you know what they say about doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.... :-(

Let your kilned tobacco rest for a few months. Roll cigars at the proper case, so they don't need to be dried out after rolling. If the tobacco smelled like decent tobacco prior to rolling, it should continue to have a similar smell after rolling.

I have no idea what impact "kelp meal and other slow-release amendments that add K" might have. Too many variable for my brain.

Next year, just use a single application of a low-chlorine fertilizer (5:15:5 or 10:10:10, etc.) and see how it turns out. The varieties should all be excellent.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Let your kilned tobacco rest for a few months. Roll cigars at the proper case, so they don't need to be dried out after rolling. If the tobacco smelled like decent tobacco prior to rolling, it should continue to have a similar smell after rolling.

I have no idea what impact "kelp meal and other slow-release amendments that add K" might have. Too many variable for my brain.

Next year, just use a single application of a low-chlorine fertilizer (5:15:5 or 10:10:10, etc.) and see how it turns out. The varieties should all be excellent.

Bob
    Thanks, Bob. The leaves don't smell bad at all, but they don't smell anything like cigar leaf. They smell more like hay or tea - pleasant, but not what I expected. I'm hoping time will help bring them around.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526