Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

any of our brothers across the pond growing Sarpo Mira potatoes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
It's unavailable in the US still but has anyone tried growing this production powerhouse? I was reading they bred it to resist the blight but a happy side affect has it producing like mad.

This year I'm growing Caribou and Burbank russets, the first one is a brand new strain that was just released so looking forward to that but after reading about the Sarpo Mira has me waiting to get my hands on them.

ChinaVoodoo

I checked the place I order them from and they don't have them. I'm particularly fond of the German Butterball from a taste perspective. Yellow flesh, and a rough skin that's easy to clean. Not a big producer though. I stopped eating them a month ago so I'd have seed leftover. Gonna get a red skinned potato too. I don't know what's out there in the nurseries and hardware stores. Getting them from the legit potato supplier is a bit more costly so I'm going to settle this year.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Every year but this I grow the store bought, never had an issue but I wanted to try a brand new strain hence the caribou. The Burbank's are from the store.

The Sarpo's look cool, but add to it the fact I can't obtain them here and they're basically unobtanium, so gotta have it hehe.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I have been growing Sarpo Mira, it's a medium late variant often one potato that people like, if you have been growing "Asterix" I can tell that they are similar to cook (and grow). Sarpo Mira shall also have very good resistance against the most. The reason I don't growing It is that I had some problems to get a good Mash potatoes two sessions after each other, so after that I have not growing it again..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Is it more of a waxy starch potato good served cold in something like a potato salad then?

In case potato salad is a regional thing it's a dish served with cold cubed pieces of potatoes, raw onions and celery sliced hard boiled eggs and a mayonnaise dressing.

I was thinking of growing red Pontiac too this year, but I'm not such a fan of the waxy types.

Thanks Hasse

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
No it's more of a mealy/Floury variant a little bit compact so it can take like longer to cook..If you get a potatoes waxy perhaps you could cut the plant some days before taking up the potatoes, I know that some grower do it.When you cook you can take of the skin the day before and let the potatoes stand in water (don't cook in the same water)..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I can't get over it, I gotta grow this. If anyone grows this please save the tps:) that should be able to make it to 'murica!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
-Don't understand why it's so difficult for you to get some.. It's one really common variant in alot of countries. The role is really hard on sending solid, roots and root-fruit between countries.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah for some reason it's simply unavailable in the US. I've seen many instances of people trying to get it on the internet but only the grin and a place called the kenoshe project have it.

So if you or any others in Europe were to toss a few potatoes in the dirt, and even ignore them for their crop value, if they set seed I'd be intensely interested.

I realize the seed would be a varietal shift from center but it would be fun to play with next year;)

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I can check with some neighbors, or put out some next time we baying some to eat, you don't need much to start a own growing.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Seed potatoes present a significant risk of importing disease. I believe a phytosanitary certificate may be required by the USDA and customs.

Bob

burge

Irish potato famine supports the certificate needed. In Canada PEI potatoes are the best next to Idaho.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah the tps is the same as any other seed though. Unfortunately it's not a direct clone but should still be fun to work with.

ChinaVoodoo

Seed potatoes present a significant risk of importing disease. I believe a phytosanitary certificate may be required by the USDA and customs.

Bob

Would potatoes be a risk if actual seed was imported instead of "seed" potatoes? I've grown from seed before. It would take two years to get a crop, but it can be done.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Would potatoes be a risk if actual seed was imported instead of "seed" potatoes? I've grown from seed before. It would take two years to get a crop, but it can be done.
Yes it's different roles because potatoes have been in direct contact with solid (and alot of things can be hidden in roots). I only know about EU and don't know much more.. Yes I known that Cameroon and alot of the other countries how is one the European friends-list work very similar.. Seed YES root NOPE.

ChinaVoodoo

Yes it's different roles because potatoes have been in direct contact with solid (and alot of things can be hidden in roots). I only know about EU and don't know much more.. Yes I known that Cameroon and alot of the other countries how is one the European friends-list work very similar.. Seed YES root NOPE.

Then hey! I have an idea. I'm just gonna say it. Maybe you could hand pollinate and bag some Sarpo Mira flowers to see if you can get fruit and seed, and send it to Smokes?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Then hey! I have an idea. I'm just gonna say it. Maybe you could hand pollinate and bag some Sarpo Mira flowers to see if you can get fruit and seed, and send it to Smokes?
Normally I use to say: Nope potatoes and Onion ain't any reason to save seed from.. But in situations like this..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I might explain a little on this:A farmer not so far from where I live growing certificated potatoes. So they are actually free from every thing that they shall not have.But he is only allowed to sell and ship the potatoes in side Sweden and the can be traced 3years back in time. Have strictly been growing and caring alone. So this potatoes should be very safe.To ship out side the country ain't as easy as it sounds, the paper that follows the potatoes most be ready a long time before they are shipping and both companies (the sellers and the baying company) need to have clean papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.