Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: any of our brothers across the pond growing Sarpo Mira potatoes?

Seed potatoes present a significant risk of importing disease. I believe a phytosanitary certificate may be required by the USDA and customs.

Bob

Irish potato famine supports the certificate needed. In Canada PEI potatoes are the best next to Idaho.

Super Moderator

Yeah the tps is the same as any other seed though. Unfortunately it's not a direct clone but should still be fun to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Seed potatoes present a significant risk of importing disease. I believe a phytosanitary certificate may be required by the USDA and customs.

Bob
    Would potatoes be a risk if actual seed was imported instead of "seed" potatoes? I've grown from seed before. It would take two years to get a crop, but it can be done.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    Would potatoes be a risk if actual seed was imported instead of "seed" potatoes? I've grown from seed before. It would take two years to get a crop, but it can be done.
    Yes it's different roles because potatoes have been in direct contact with solid (and alot of things can be hidden in roots). I only know about EU and don't know much more.. Yes I known that Cameroon and alot of the other countries how is one the European friends-list work very similar.. Seed YES root NOPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasse SWE View Post
    Yes it's different roles because potatoes have been in direct contact with solid (and alot of things can be hidden in roots). I only know about EU and don't know much more.. Yes I known that Cameroon and alot of the other countries how is one the European friends-list work very similar.. Seed YES root NOPE.
    Then hey! I have an idea. I'm just gonna say it. Maybe you could hand pollinate and bag some Sarpo Mira flowers to see if you can get fruit and seed, and send it to Smokes?
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    Then hey! I have an idea. I'm just gonna say it. Maybe you could hand pollinate and bag some Sarpo Mira flowers to see if you can get fruit and seed, and send it to Smokes?
    Normally I use to say: Nope potatoes and Onion ain't any reason to save seed from.. But in situations like this..

I might explain a little on this:A farmer not so far from where I live growing certificated potatoes. So they are actually free from every thing that they shall not have.But he is only allowed to sell and ship the potatoes in side Sweden and the can be traced 3years back in time. Have strictly been growing and caring alone. So this potatoes should be very safe.To ship out side the country ain't as easy as it sounds, the paper that follows the potatoes most be ready a long time before they are shipping and both companies (the sellers and the baying company) need to have clean papers.

Here's an interesting article. They're calling for 600 to 700 lbs per acre of potassium for potatoes. I decided to deviate from my usual organic fertilizing, and added some potash to my potato patch.
    http://www.westernfarmpress.com/vege...m-and-potatoes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12