Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tastes changing or tobacco smoothed out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverone858

I've been sampling bulk blends as people have suggested them to me. I seem to like aromatics but for the price of a couple bulk ounces I'll try any type if I don't like it I stick it in a can and come back later.
One I tried a month or two ago is little brown smoke shack xmas future. I didn't like it, I'm sure someone who has tried it could tell me what's most likely in it but there's a cinnamon spicy nose flavor while smoking it.
Anyway it's been a while and I thought I would try it again and wow, it mellowed out and I love it. I sat down and smoked it with my coffee this morning, I'm very surprised.
Not sure if my tastes changed or my packing technique got better but I like it and had to write about it.
Geoff

greenmonster714

That's seems to be a pretty much same scenario with tobacco. Sometimes I simply let it dry out good and the flavor pops sometimes. If all else fails I become a master blender and throw it in with something I like.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If your preference is aromatics, I strongly recommend having a look at the aromatic blends from Cornell & Diehl. An excellent selection of them is offered by smokingpipes.com.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/bulk/

Unlike most "house" blended aromatics, which are often secondarily blended from commercial bulk blends, like Lane, Ltd., Cornell & Diehl begins with straight tobaccos, then creates pipe tobacco blends out of them from scratch. Their tobacco blends, even the aromatics, tend to be much drier than other commercial aromatics, and smoke much cleaner--without the gurgles. Their flavoring is subtle, and often cannot be identified from just smoking the tobacco. So, for example, their "Berries and Cream" blend does not actually taste like berries or cream. The smokingpipes.com site also provides fairly descriptive info. ["C&D's Berries & Cream combines an all black mixture of unsweetened black Cavendish and a bit of #734 Green River Vanilla, flavored with with a proprietary "cream" aromatic and some blackberry brandy for a berry experience like no other."]

Cornell & Diehl also offers their individual blending components in bulk.

Bob

CowboyTed

In answer to your question, I suspect there may be elements of both: a change in your taste preferences from one day to the next, along with a change in the tobacco from the last time you sampled it.

The tobacco can change for several reasons: it can dry out, it can be affected by storage at different temperatures, the flavors and aromas of the tobaccos and casings can meld and change over time.

As for your own sense of taste, if it's like mine, it can vary wildly from day to day. Some days an old favorite tobacco just isn't appealing to me. Why? Who knows. Just move on to something that seems appealing that day and try a change of pace. Our sense of taste changes from day to day, and even through a single day. You'll find lots of discussions among Latakia lovers about smoking lighter Latakia blends in the morning, and super strong blends late at night. Why? Even the diurnal cycle affects our sense of taste at different times of day.

As far as I'm concerned, variety is the spice of life, and I enjoy it on my plate as well as in my pipe. I'm happy that my body naturally enjoys different flavors at different times.

Silverone858

Greenmonster714, I have 2 or 3 that I don't like enough to even blend hahaha I hope time changes them.
Deluxestogie, I have been looking at c&d everything they make sounds good and I read somewhere they are big into allowing the tobacco to the flavor and light on toppings.
Cowboyted, sounds just like my tastes for food, drink and just about everything. Being a gemini I'm used to it!
I have a tin of hh vintage syrian and 2oz of hearth and home scotties pancake On its way. I shall report back later!
Geoff

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have a tin of hh vintage syrian .. On its way. I shall report back later!
Geoff

If you end up liking the HH Vintage Syrian you need to stock up quickly. Mac Barens is the only company left that still has real Syrian Latakia. They have estimated that they will run out sometime between 2017 and 2022. When their supply is gone, Syrian Latakia will become extinct.

Silverone858

Yes, unless I actually hate it I'll probably buy more for posterity sake! Apparently I can't really predict what I will like even in the near future.
And at least right now I only smoke like a full bowl a day or less. I'm sure a few tins would last a long time!

greenmonster714

Yes, they tend to last me a while. I put something different in the bowl every time I pick up a pipe. My guess will be....you'll like it. There's just something about the Syrian. Maybe the smokey flavor or odor of sweet horse feed with extra molasses. I dunno. But I'm betting on you'll like it. Next time you'll have to try a blend with Cyprian Latakia. Some hate it. I do like it's unique flavor and smell.

Charly

I agree with all of you, and I have the same experience with pipe smoking :
- tobacco can smooth and meld with time (a few months to a few years can really impact the blend)
- smoking dry or wet offers a different experience
- pipe selection impact the taste and flavor of your smoke (each pipe has it's personnality and influences the smoke)
- personnal preference can vary a lot (changing as time passes and vary from day to day and within the day) : I tend to prefer light tobacco (light english, Virginia) in the morning (I find it easier to taste subtil flavors/taste) and heavier blends later in the day (full english, virginia/perique, ...). But some days are different...
- your packing technique (which evolves and changes with time) influences the smoking experience.
- important : your smoking technique influences a lot the taste/flavor (smoking slowly, sipping, or smoking fast, hot...)
- even the weather influences how you taste and feel tobacco (smoking inside or outside...), even the season influences what you want or not (I tend to prefer heavier blends during the cold months...)
- what you eat/drink before/during smoking influences too.
- your mood influences too.
- if this is your first smoke of the day, or if you already smoked something before (and what you smoked) cchanges the experience
- I might forget a few other factors :D

To sum up : when you try a new tobacco, try it in different pipes, at different humidity level, at different times in the day.

In my experience, I feel that pipe smoking is the most variable, unpredictable smoking technique, but when everything goes fine it can be wonderfull experiences !

burge

If you end up liking the HH Vintage Syrian you need to stock up quickly. Mac Barens is the only company left that still has real Syrian Latakia. They have estimated that they will run out sometime between 2017 and 2022. When their supply is gone, Syrian Latakia will become extinct.

What is Don's latakia? To answer your question tobacco will age over time. Before I got into leaf tobacco I bought cans of Danish export first can in tasted good but as I let the cans age unopen the tobacco kept getting better.

Silverone858

Another factor is nic content, I smoked some mac barens Irish mixture ooooweee I got a little green from it hahaha I know I'm a lightweight but I guess I have to take it easy! Tasty though lol
Geoff

Silverone858

Not Irish Scottish my bad.
According to the mcbaren literature.
MAC BAREN Mixture Scottish 1oz. - This was the result of many years of development, inspired by Jørgen Halbergs great store of knowledge of tobacco leaves and the production of pipe tobacco. Production of Mixture is based on one of the worlds most complex processes, which explains why the blend has never been copied. Mixture is made from more than 35 different tobacco leaves from different parts of the world. Each leaf has its own special qualities and only by blending them in the right proportions does Mixture achieve its unique flavour. Naturally, what goes into Mixture remains secret, although we can disclose some information. The loose cut tobacco in Mixture is light, sweet Virginia. One of the secrets behind the lingering pleasure that Mixture gives is that pressed Virginia and Burley tobacco has been added, which after a meticulous pressing process is carefully loosened up. This makes it easier to fill into the pipe, while giving Mixture the added advantage of burning slowly. But even the best Virginia and Burley tobacco is not what completes the Mixture blend. The ingredient that does this is the special, loose cut Mac Baren Cavendish. Contrasting the light Virginia tobacco, Cavendish is not only a joy to look at, it also gives Mixture the final nuance of taste that completes the blend. The carefully balanced aromatic top flavour, together with the tobacco leaves, makes Mixture a unique blend. Mixture is easy to tamp down and when the pipe is lit a pleasant fragrance slowly spreads throughout the room which others will find agreeable. Mixture does not consist of one dominant taste, but a profusion of different nuances of flavour that keep changing - all from a single tamp of tobacco. Mixture is a mild tobacco with good body without being strong. This is an important reason why Mixture is the preferred brand among many pipe smokers worldwide and has been for many years. Mixture has become one of the most important classics among pipe tobaccos of the world.

Stuff tastes good but it got on top of me hahaha

greenmonster714

Wow, blended from 35 different tobacco's. Sounds like something I'd like to try a few bowls of. That's kinda like the Lipton tea of pipe tobacco. Lipton uses 21 different tea leaves in a bag. Or so they say. I could see where the Scottish blend would be a bit strong. Mc Barons ya say. I'm going to put that on my wish list @P&C. Thanks for the info.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
So a typical bowl of Scottish Blend would have two, maybe three, strands if each leaf variety. I accept that it is Virginia, Burley, and Cavendish, variously pressed, stoved and slathered with casing. It's not what I would call a mild blend.

It's interesting, as are their various sliced twists/roll cakes (like Club Blend), which come in the can as thin coins that you just fold and stuff into a pipe, without rubbing out.

Bob

Charly

I tried both brown and black ropes from "Samuel Gawith" and "Gawith, Hoggarth & co", they are indeed strong stuff.
The blacks are more mellow, but still strong.
I am not very sensitive to nicotine, so they did not knocked my head down, but they are strong, and they require a very slow sipping to enjoy their taste, if you rush them, they taste like ashes...

From what I remember, the brown ropes (brown N°4, Happy brown bogie...) taste a lot of earth and leather, no sweetness.
The black ones (black Irish X, black XX finest...) tastes earth and leather too, but more mellow, with some smoky flavor (like barbecue), more animal too (smells like my dog when he is wet :D )
They are very natural and old style.
They are very unique type of tobacco, you should try it.
If you can, try just one once of a brow rope and one once of a black rope, they last a long time.

greenmonster714

Lol wet dog. Now that does not sound good at all. I'm not sure if I've ever puffed on a full flavor high nic pipe tobacco. I've had some high nic juice in a sub tank once. Forgot I had a high nic in the res and honked on it like three times in a row. Once the room started spinning I realised my error. Got so sick I had to lay down. Awful feeling. Nicotine is a very powerful drug. I would like to try a high nic tobacco though. Sounds like it could be tasty if ya take your time with it.

Charly

"Wet dog" aroma :D Don't fear, it tastes and smells good, but it reminds me a lot of a wet dog aroma :)
If you smoke them slowly they are quite good, but they can easily take an ashy/iron taste, so you are forced to smoke them slowly :)

I find that these ropes are a very good exercice to train yourself to smoke the slowest you can.
Smoking SLOWLY is the key to appreciate all the tastes and aromas that tobacco can offer (that's the way I like it).

Status
Not open for further replies.