Whole Leaf Tobacco

Criollo98 wrapper ruined my cigar flavor

I made some robusto cigars using :

2 Nicaraguan habano seco
    1 1/2 Criollo98 seco
    1 Criollo98 viso
    Nicaraguan double binder

If I just smoke the cigar with the binder and fillers, it's great.... some mellow spice with nutty hints as it warms up, so I've been trying to find a wrapper that will fit well with it and not ruin the flavor. If I can't find a good wrapper, I'll just smoke them with just the binder, which is fine, but it doesn't look quite as nice as having a wrapper for giving to others to smoke (doesn't matter to me personally).

I tried the ecuador wrapper and it wasn't bad. I tried the corojo wrapper and it was ok, but a bit more pepper and had a lot of tunneling and burn issues on the wrapper. Then I tried the criollo98 wrapper. It completely ruined the cigar. It turned the cigar from a nice mellow spice to a complete pepper blast throughout the cigar. It completely overtook the other flavors. It actually made me sweat up a storm smoking it. My buddy had the same constant pepper taste on his. I am shocked that the wrapper made such a massive change in the entire flavor profile of the cigar. I remember a youtube video of a roller who said the wrapper only contributes a small part of the flavor. Not what I experienced at all. This was with about a week of rest in the humidor after the wrapper and filler dried outside of the humidor.

So my question, does more rest time make a big change to mellow something like that out at all?

Super Moderator

Re: Criollo98 wrapper ruined my cigar flavor

Resting is worth a chance also reblending is worthwhile too.

Some of my best, most chocolatey, cigars have been with that wrapper.

The easiest remedy is to remove the Criollo 98 viso from the blend when you wrap it with Criollo 98.

Besuki wrapper (from WLT) is quite mild.

Bob

i am partial to ct wrappers on nic filler sticks....give that a try

When you say you tried the ecuador wrapper, which one ....shade or maduro??
    You might want to try a sumatra wrapper as well. I try to make a blend then make up a "rack" of them ( a cigar mold full) and then wrap with different leaf to see the subtle differences and then pick one or two. I almost always have good luck with Ecuador Maduro and Corojo. Haven't rolled any in quite some time (spare time constraints)but I was playing with Honduran and it is a bit more touchy on what it works well with in my blend lab.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Harley View Post
    When you say you tried the ecuador wrapper, which one ....shade or maduro??
    You might want to try a sumatra wrapper as well. I try to make a blend then make up a "rack" of them ( a cigar mold full) and then wrap with different leaf to see the subtle differences and then pick one or two. I almost always have good luck with Ecuador Maduro and Corojo. Haven't rolled any in quite some time (spare time constraints)but I was playing with Honduran and it is a bit more touchy on what it works well with in my blend lab.

It was the Ecuadorian seco shade wrapper. I may have to try the maduro.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by D0CH0LLIDAY View Post
    I tried the corojo wrapper and it was ok, ...... a lot of tunneling and burn issues on the wrapper. Then I tried the criollo98 wrapper. It completely ruined the cigar.
    For Tunneling is responsible bad construction of the filler. The slower burning in the center of the bunch. Best burner for binder and you won't have problems with burn issues on the wrapper. Off course more resting time should improve and mellow the cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by D0CH0LLIDAY View Post
    It was the Ecuadorian seco shade wrapper. I may have to try the maduro.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    Maduro is the answer. Also Besuki is one of my favorites with this kind of problems.
    Maks

Quote Originally Posted by rainmax View Post
    For Tunneling is responsible bad construction of the filler. The slower burning in the center of the bunch. Best burner for binder and you won't have problems with burn issues on the wrapper. Off course more resting time should improve and mellow the cigar.

Maduro is the answer. Also Besuki is one of my favorites with this kind of problems.
    Thank you. I will try the maduro.

tunneling has little to nothing to do with the wrapper. That is due to poor construction. If you can roll using the entubado method with the correct leaf positions,you'll have zero burn issues.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll