Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Show us your homemade pipes!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Sitter CornCob Completed

Garden20171027_3195_sitterCornCob_charred_600.jpg

Instead of waiting to find or re-purchase a small rat-tail file to complete this pipe, last night I reached into my pocket, and pulled out the tiny penknife that I've carried for about 20 years. The handle is just barely narrow enough to allow the longest of the two small blades to reach the bottom of the bowl. I was able to use the tip of the blade to gradually nick and scrape the remainder of the bowl into proper form.

I drizzled dark molasses onto a twisted paper towel, and smeared a thin coating of the brown goo on the inside surface of the bowl. I allowed this to dry overnight. This morning, I packed the pipe--completely full--with a Virginia/Perique Oriental blend, and smoked my way down to the bottom.

I could not taste the molasses, though the process of charring it did slow the burn, and require a number of relights. My thought on the molasses is that it will add a fine layer of char coating to the cob. It also seemed to reduce the "roasting corn" aroma of breaking-in the cob.

Since the shape of the bowl tapers, my aluminum pipe nail would only go halfway down. So I used a wood pipe tool that I had whittled as an impromptu tamper some years ago. It's just a random twig from a fallen maple branch.

Garden20171027_3194_sitterCornCob_charred_closeup_600.jpg

By the time the tobacco burned to the bottom of the bowl, the area around the stem insertion (and the silicone seal) became barely warm.

Although the Tygon bit is not ideal, I find it much nicer than the bare bamboo in my mouth. The 12" pipe cleaners ("fuzzy sticks") that I purchase from the craft section at Walmart reach easily down the full length of the bit and stem.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

I use fuzzy sticks to tie my tobacco plants to stakes. Fuzzy sticks tend to shed their fuzz when handled. In other venues (the craft store) these fuzzy sticks are known as "Chenille Stems". Chenille is French for "fuzzy" or "caterpillar".

Wes H.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I first purchased the craft, "fuzzy sticks," for use as pipe cleaners, I was concerned that the synthetic fibers might be a problem for a pipe. They're not. I've used them now for about 5 or 6 years on a regular basis. They work as well as the overpriced cotton pipe cleaners, and are more effective at cleaning a pipe.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

I went looking for something soft and bendable that would be similar to a pipe cleaner but longer. I started at the craft store, which is where I found chenille stems. As said previously, I use them as something soft and bendable to tie delicate young tobacco stems to wooden stakes for support. The next time I went looking for replacements at the evil empire, I used the name chenille stems and the clerk didn't know what I was talking about. I described them and she said "oh, you mean fuzzy sticks," and showed me where they were. So apparently someone owns the name chenille stems.

At any rate, what ever name you use, they work well to tie young tobacco stems to stakes. And they are inexpensive, which is also good. And they come in lots of bright colors!

Wes H.

Dremel tools are great, but they have their limitations, especially the short length of the bits.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well here it is, ,my first attempt at making a cob. This past year I grew corn from Missouri Meerschaum corn seeds. Normally the cobs need to dry for a year or two but I decided to speed up the aging process by putting one in my kiln for about 24 hours.

IMG_0543.jpg

I'm not too pleased with it though. I drilled the chamber to 3/4 inch but I used a 5/8 inch cherry plug. I think the next one will have a 3/4 inch plug. The wooden stem is made from cherry too. I used an ebonite stem to finish things.

IMG_0545.jpg

The symbol on the plug is an ankh. Symbol for eternal life.

Leftynick

Well here it is, ,my first attempt at making a cob. This past year I grew corn from Missouri Meerschaum corn seeds. Normally the cobs need to dry for a year or two but I decided to speed up the aging process by putting one in my kiln for about 24 hours.

View attachment 22458

I'm not too pleased with it though. I drilled the chamber to 3/4 inch but I used a 5/8 inch cherry plug. I think the next one will have a 3/4 inch plug. The wooden stem is made from cherry too. I used an ebonite stem to finish things.

View attachment 22459

The symbol on the plug is an ankh. Symbol for eternal life.

That is a good sized corn cob pipe. I want to make some corn cob with wooden stem too, but replacement stem for corn cob pipe is too expensive to buy on ebay (the price is the same as I buy a brand new corn cob pipe)

Leftynick

1509279953650192911209.jpg

Three wooden pipe and three corn cob pipe.

15092801079461917671676.jpg
I made all of my pipe to be a sitter. These three are tembusu wood pipe, the same with my first home made pipe. I made different length to see which give the best smoke. Of course, the longest win. I cannot smoke my homegrown tobacco in this pipe as it burn too hot. Been using it for commercial flake.

My corn cob pipe are being plastered with home made plaster (flour and hot water). I dont use them enough to see whether the plaster help with anything, but I think it helps to cool down the exterior better while smoking

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, JBD, the MM cobs win by a mile (or rather, a half-inch). They are really fat! I suspect that none of my giant corn has yielded such thick cobs, although I haven't shelled my biggest ones yet. So, MM really does have a secret variety, and it isn't among the collection of the largest corn varieties that I've found. So you've put that matter to rest.

And your cob pipe is gorgeous. I recognize your pipe stand from Vermont Freehand (http://vermontfreehand.com/shop/). Did you use one of their spade bits to bore the cob?

Leftynick, if you're hand whittling those wood pipes, then you've got a real talent for that.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I recognize your pipe stand from Vermont Freehand (http://vermontfreehand.com/shop/). Did you use one of their spade bits to bore the cob?

Bob, Good eye on the pipe stand!
I have spade bits (made for pipe boring) but they really started to chew up the cob even though I pre-drilled the hole. My 1 cob experience tells me to use regular twist bits and drill all the way through. Start small (1/4 inch or so ) and work my way up to 3/4.

On this pipe I only drilled the 3/4 inch hole about 7/8 of the way and then the rest of the way with a 5/8 inch bit. The reason being is that I had a 5/8 inch cherry dowel to use as a plug but not any 3/4 inch.

Leftynick

Leftynick, if you're hand whittling those wood pipes, then you've got a real talent for that.

Bob

Yes Bob I hand whittle all of these pipe. I only have cordless drill which I use to bore the tobacco chamber using my altered spade bit, and smoke hole. (I alter the bit myself using hand held saw, that is why the bore is not perfect.)

P_20170501_092530.jpg
P_20170501_111527.jpg
P_20170501_114417.jpg

it is crude technique but I figures it work. Not gonna sell these pipe so I am quite happy eith how they perform. My only complaint is the wooden stem, which will not stay shine because of contact with saliva.

Charly

Congratulations gentlemen !
The pipes you made are very cool.

Tutu

Hello,
I would like to show my homemade calabash pipe

A 3D printed pipe! But honestly, it looks really nice! Noticed you are new to the forum, where are your from? Feel free to introduce yourself in the introduce yourself section!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to show my homemade calabash pipe.

I made plaster molds with 3D Printer.
As I understand it, you 3D printed the mold, then poured the plaster into that mold. The pipes look lovely. I suppose you could use the same mold with clay, then fire the clay pipe.

I know that clay pipes and ceramic pipes usually smoke well, but can get hot to hold. The problem I have with my two calabash (gourd) pipes--a huge one and a mini, both of which have meerschaum bowls, is that I can pass a pipe cleaner only through the bowl, toward the shank, but can never clean out the decades of tobacco dottle that accumulates beneath the bowl. With my large one, the bowl is mounted in a ring of cork, and can be removed, but the mini has a glued-in bowl.

Very nice work.

Bob