Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Show us your homemade pipes!

Akias

Hello, Tutu. Thanks for your message. I am from Japan, my wife and daughter in law are from your country. I like Indonesian cigars.

Hello, Bob

As I understand it, you 3D printed the mold, then poured the plaster into that mold. The pipes look lovely. I suppose you could use the same mold with clay, then fire the clay pipe.

I know that clay pipes and ceramic pipes usually smoke well, but can get hot to hold. The problem I have with my two calabash (gourd) pipes--a huge one and a mini, both of which have meerschaum bowls, is that I can pass a pipe cleaner only through the bowl, toward the shank, but can never clean out the decades of tobacco dottle that accumulates beneath the bowl. With my large one, the bowl is mounted in a ring of cork, and can be removed, but the mini has a glued-in bowl.

Very nice work.

Bob

Thanks for your advise. I will try Clay with these molds in a future.
I made detachable bowl type calabash pipe. The same as previous one, plaster made pipe.

011.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg

The size is smaller than previous one. I use lether for sealing instead of cork, I did not find thin cork sheet in my area.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Pipe Kit Corncob

Garden20171119_3232_pipe_JBD_corncob_600.jpg

Jitterbugdude sent me a pipe "kit" that consisted of 3 pieces: a bored cob section, a wooden shank and an ebonite bit. He had bored the bottom of the cob, and inserted a wooden plug. I assembled it late yesterday evening. Assembly time was about 45 minutes.

Tasks:
  • insert wood shank into the bowl
  • seal that joint
  • minimally finish the bit (JBD had already turned the tenon)
  • tighten the fit of the bit into the shank
  • tidy up the sawed edges of the cob
The shank was forced into the side bore of the cob using some light hammering. Since the hole was ragged to start with (it's just a corncob!), I needed to apply a sealant to the exterior of the joint. Having no RTV silicone, I applied some Shoe Goo, using a Popsicle stick. This was allowed to dry overnight.

To tighten the fit of the tenon into the shank mortise, I first scored the tenon parallel to the axis of the tenon, using a pocket knife (about 20 scores), then wrapped it with Teflon plumbing tape.

The bit still had casting marks along two edges, so I shaved these with a pocket knife, then finished it with an emery board and a buff on my jeans.

Garden20171119_3233_pipe_JBD_corncob_bottom_600.jpg

About 11 hours after applying the Shoe Goo to the shank joint with the cob, I packed the entire pipe with tobacco, and fired it up, smoking it all the way to the bottom. No hint of glue or Goo.

Thank you, JBD. The pipe smokes well, feels comfortable, and soothes my wallet.

Bob

Akias

Homemade Clay Pipe

002.jpg

001.jpg

I made 3D printed Clay Pipe Molds

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Glazed outside but Bisque Fired (not glazed) inside, since want to absorb the moisture.

006.jpg

I made 2 versions, octagonal shaped tobacco chamber and round shape one, as above photo.
I found chamber one tasts better than round one. I use the same clay and fired them in the same time.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I made 2 versions, octagonal shaped tobacco chamber and round shape one, as above photo.
I found chamber one tastes better than round one.
Very nice work. I like the thick bamboo root shank, since clay pipes are too hot to grip.

Your comment about the octagonal bowl interior "tasting better" than the round one brings to mind a similar phenomenon with square-pressed cigars. The angled corners alter the air/gas flow through and around the tobacco. With cigars, it seems to make a very potent cigar taste somewhat milder.

Bob

Akias

Thanks all.
Bob, thanks for explanation.

011.jpg

Above 2 shapes are modeling image, octagonal and round bowl interior.
I will make hexagon and square chamber and see the difference of smoke taste.

anyway, I hope you to check the difference of Otagonal and Round bowl interior, I wish to send you 2 pipes, If you do not mind, could you PM me your address?

greenmonster714

From a 3d printer. Amazing machines we have today. Great looking pipes. It is odd how just the change of shape can change things. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Akias

Modified McArthur Cob pipe, Reverse Calabash?

View attachment 23089

I found McArthur type cob pipe in 10 Pipe Grab Bag.
This time, I am going to modify this one.

023.jpg

Original chamber is aprox 18mm, I drilled it wider, into dia 22mm.

028.jpg

I want to split long chamber into two as above image.

024.jpg

I cut dia 22mm round shape hard wood piece, and drilled 3.5mm hole in the center.

View attachment 23094
View attachment 23095

Squeezed it into the chamber and sticked at 42mm from upper end.
Now I got phi22mm x 42mm tobacco chamber.

View attachment 23096

Also I drilled dia 15mm hole on the bottom, I use this hole when I clean up the calabash chamber.

031.jpg

capped the hole.

032.jpg

done. McArthur Cob pipe, with calabash chamber.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 18

Charly

Good idea to transform a McArthur Cob pipe to add a reverse calabash system !
Nice work.

Did you smoke it yet ?

Akias

Good idea to transform a McArthur Cob pipe to add a reverse calabash system !
Nice work.

Did you smoke it yet ?

Yes, I did. it is smooth but I can not compare the original McArhur cob, I modified the pipe before I smoke the original...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's a simple and interesting pipe. Is the stem made from ash? The bowl appears to be made from a debarked branch of a hardwood (linear grain).

Bob

wooda2008

Bowl is cherry. The bark popped off when it was drying.
Stem is 2nd year honey locust shoot. Very substantial, chambered pith. I was able to hollow it out with a bristled pipe cleaner.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Stem is 2nd year honey locust shoot. Very substantial, chambered pith. I was able to hollow it out with a bristled pipe cleaner.
Interesting. I understand that ash branches also have a soft pith. I'll have to start snipping small branches of every tree variety around here, and have a look at the pith.

Bob

wooda2008

Interesting. I understand that ash branches also have a soft pith. I'll have to start snipping small branches of every tree variety around here, and have a look at the pith.

Bob
I highly recommend it. I make pipes stems for Ceremony from white and brown ash. It's a little more difficult than locust and lilac.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Lilac? Lilac. I planted two lilacs in the yard about 5 years ago. Right before my eyes! The next time I prune them, I'll harvest some pipe stems. Great to know.

Bob

Akias

Clay Tamper + Humidifier + Mini Pipe, 3 in 1

002.jpg

I made a mini clay pipe.

003.jpg

attached a screw.

004.jpg

It works as a tamper.

005.jpg

it works as tobacco humidifier after absorbed water.

006.jpg

Of course it is smokable, 3 to 5 minutes short smoke, nice with shag cut tobacco.

007.jpg

length approx 100mm, weight approx 11g.