Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Show us your homemade pipes!

Charly

Very nice pipes, gentlemen !

Bob, I am sure your neighbor will appreciate your beautiful poker sitter pipe ! I really like this type of raw/natural pipes.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Local Cob Makes the Big Time

Garden20190309_4178_pipe_homeGrownMMcob01_700.jpg

This was the crummiest MM cob that I saved from 2018. It was less than 2-1/2 inches long. Only a few of its kernels developed properly--a genuine Missouri Meerschaum, seed grown, snaggle-tooth midget cob. I saved it because of its girth.

I used no power tools for this unworthy specimen. Sawing was by hand, and the holes were drilled using drill bits held at 90° in a vise-grip plier, and slowly rotated by hand.

The stem is bamboo. The smoke hole in the cob was drilled for a very snug fit to the bamboo, and then the stem was hammered home. No glue was used.

Garden20190309_4179_pipe_homeGrownMMCob02_700.jpg

Garden20190309_4180_pipe_homeGrownMMCob03_700.jpg

Garden20190309_4181_pipe_homeGrownMMCob04_700.jpg

Despite its stumpy, clunky appearance, it is lighter than a typical MM pipe, since it is not burdened with plaster and shellac. The rough looking cob surface is gentle on my fingers, and keeps the solid part of the bowl 1/4" away from skin.

From shelling to smokable in only 40 minutes.

AND...it's a sitter!

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The bowl diameter is large enough to allow a standard pipe tamper to easily drop to the bottom. I could bore it slightly wider, but I probably won't. There is still a thin layer of pith, which will char and scrape away with use. (Besides, it would then have required more than 40 minutes to make.)

While this is 0.5" diameter, typical commercial briar pipes are bored to 0.7".

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm letting it rest in my humidor for a few weeks, to meld the aromas.

Actually, I decided that lunch would be a good idea.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I just fired up the new cob. It was packed with my latest batch of Pearl of Shibam. It smokes well. Of course, on first bowl, every corncob pipe gives off a mild, not unpleasant aroma of toasting corn. This is usually gone by the third bowl.

This is about the most comfortable pipe I've ever smoked. It's cool to the hand and light as a feather (an obese feather).

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes an air leak develops after the pipe has been smoked a few times. When that happens, I use a rim of sneaker glue (Shoe Goo) around the base of the bamboo, on the exterior of the cob.

Bob

Charly

While this is 0.5" diameter, typical commercial briar pipes are bored to 0.7".

I like to be able to enter my finger inside so I can put the pressure I want ;)
With a "typical briar pipe", I can.
With standard cobs I can only enter a few millimeters down, but it allow me to prepare the bowl the way I like.
With only 0.5" I could not.
But it's more a matter of convenience, if it works for you then it's good :)
And I have to say that it's a very nice cob pipe !

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Now you've done it, Charly! I put my little finger into the bowl, to see if it would fit, and now it's black with soot.

I pack my pipe in the same manner as you. I have 3 pipes that are too narrow, so I just use one of my wooden tampers for those.

Nearly 50 years ago, a dear friend and I were driving on the highway in his Jeep. He was at the wheel. He asked if I would pack a pipe for him. As I was packing it (with Dunhill Nightcap), he looked over to me, and said, "It's not just anybody you trust to pack your pipe."

That has stayed with me as a reminder of how truly personal pipe packing becomes.

Bob

wooda2008

Hi guys. I've been away for too long.

Until I get to the other subforums with pics of sticks and veggie gardens, here's a cob pipe I made last summer with a Missouri Meerschaum diplomat bowl and a shank I grew in the garden.

dwCYZVA.jpg