Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Show us your homemade pipes!

P_20170604_133628.jpg
    P_20170604_133636.jpg

My first homemade wood pipe. This is made from Tembusu wood, popular wood in my country to make cutting board, spoon, ladle and bowl with. I am thinking it is suitable because the wood used widely in food preparation. However the wood are not really tough as i already develop several hairline cracks before I even fully break in the pipe. I will continue to smoke this pipe as benchmark, as I still have plenty of tembusu wood and planning to make more pipe with it.
    P_20170604_133656.jpg
    crack on the mortise. This one is my fault, I pull off the stem immediately after smoking while it is hot.
    P_20170604_133708.jpg
    another cracking. It is getting bigger after each smoke.

I used instant coffee as stain and seal the wood using a mix of beeswax and cooking oil. The stem are made with same wood and the whole pipe carved using regular saw, chisel and wood file. The only power tool I use were my fathers chordless drill to drill the tobacco chamber and draft hole. Not the best looking but I am proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by Leftynick View Post
    P_20170604_133628.jpg
    P_20170604_133636.jpg

My first homemade wood pipe. This is made from Tembusu wood, popular wood in my country to make cutting board, spoon, ladle and bowl with. I am thinking it is suitable because the wood used widely in food preparation. However the wood are not really tough as i already develop several hairline cracks before I even fully break in the pipe. I will continue to smoke this pipe as benchmark, as I still have plenty of tembusu wood and planning to make more pipe with it.
    P_20170604_133656.jpg
    crack on the mortise. This one is my fault, I pull off the stem immediately after smoking while it is hot.
    P_20170604_133708.jpg
    another cracking. It is getting bigger after each smoke.

I used instant coffee as stain and seal the wood using a mix of beeswax and cooking oil. The stem are made with same wood and the whole pipe carved using regular saw, chisel and wood file. The only power tool I use were my fathers chordless drill to drill the tobacco chamber and draft hole. Not the best looking but I am proud of it
    Maybe see if you can find Buxus cochinchinensis. I read that at one time, before pipe makers used briar, boxwood was the wood of choice for pipes.
    This blanket is a necessity. It keeps me from cracking up. It may be regarded as a spiritual tourniquet. Without it, I'd be nothing, a ship without a rudder. - Linus

Nice homemade pipe Lefty. What other hard woods are available in your area?

That is a cute little pipe, and unique.

I believe that the cracking of the pipe bowl is because the grain of the wood is at a right angle to the main bore. Or it may be that the wood was not fully cured yet. Heartwood is denser than layers further out, and shrinks less as the wood cures and dries.

Bob

Congratulations, nice pipes, guys ! you can be proud

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    That is a cute little pipe, and unique.

I believe that the cracking of the pipe bowl is because the grain of the wood is at a right angle to the main bore. Or it may be that the wood was not fully cured yet. Heartwood is denser than layers further out, and shrinks less as the wood cures and dries.

Bob
    My father gave me that wood and he stored it in his storeroom for almost 5 years before giving it to me. So i think it should be dry enough. But I am not sure because I never dry wood before. I made my guitar with only few month of drying the wood in the sun.

I think it is because of the grain. I tried to match the grain to give more strength to the stem joint. I receive the wood it is cut sectionally rather than made into lumber so I have to improvise. I will see my other pipe made with the same wood if it has the same problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster714 View Post
    Nice homemade pipe Lefty. What other hard woods are available in your area?
    there are many hardwood in my area. But tropical hardwood usually have many toxic material that can be released into fumes when made as pipe. So I have to choose carefully. My local pipe crafter favorite wood are tamarind heartwood and balau (shorea sp.) I used balau for my first guitar and it is really hard and heavy, it dulls my saw. Now I regret for not saving some of the leftover wood. Currently I am drying some rose apple wood I got from my uncle to experiment with. It is supposed to have same quality as cherry wood.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    Maybe see if you can find Buxus cochinchinensis. I read that at one time, before pipe makers used briar, boxwood was the wood of choice for pipes.
    thank you. I will try to find some. It seems to have limited information on the species in the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    I'm curious how you were able to bore that thin, cherry stem.
    Bob
    Coat hanger wire sharpened just so and chucked in a drill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12