Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What's Your Favourite Tobacco/Blend For Making Dip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsthebenster

Whelp. It seems like I finally figured out how to make some dip to suit my tastes. I used Copenhagen Forever's "It's Gold" method (which worked amazingly; thanks, Copenhagen Forever) with a modified recipe and it looks like I may come out with something I can really get into. I think the next step is to begin experimenting with different tobaccos to further refine the finished product to my personal tastes. My question to all you dippers is: Which tobacco - or tobacco blend - do you find tastes the best?

I used WLT's Maryland this time around, but would like to further experiment in the future. I know fire cured is often recommended, but when it used it, it seemed like the smokiness is all I could smell/taste. I was wondering what other tobaccos you guys use. Or perhaps I used the fire cured improperly in the past? Should it just be used sparingly as a "spice" of sorts? Who knows. I'm the furthest thing from an expert. But I'd definitely like to see which tobacco blends you guys have had the most luck with.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Dark air is the most prominent type in any commercial smokeless blend, whether fire cured or not.

RyanM22

It depends on what you're going for.. flavored/unflavored, etc..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Big tobacco does what big tobacco does for big tobacco's reasons. We don't have to follow their lead as we may not be as interested in things like batch conformity.

One of the most flavorful smokeless tobacco's I made was with a test offering by whole leaf tobacco of cigar scraps. Great flavor of it's own if a little too mild.

Vuelta harvested a full 6 weeks after topping grows thick luscious leaves very suited for smokeless with a rich flavor and good strength.

So my suggestions would be to play around with cigar tobacco's, Burley's, Bright's as well as the darks.

Some types that are good smoked might be bitter chewed but only one way to find that out.

It's all good though.

greenmonster714

Hey Smokes, I'm growing some stuff I thought would be good for snuff. Other than the Vuelta. What other strains would you suggest for snuff? I'd like to put a list together for next year. Thanks

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
All types for snuff. If it smells good it's going to work.

Fire cured is great too but would overwhelm anything else. I like strong snuff though so I've tried it with all my stronger varieties. Vuelta is just particularly good since in addition to having a great natural smell it also has a lot of strength.

Rustica is also good for snuff.

I like toasts so my litmus test is to hit a piece of scrap with a mapp torch for a second then see what it smells like. Vuelta is great but it's drawback is yield. Of course with snuff a little goes a long way.

Smokin Harley

I make leaf chew like Redman or Levi Garret rather than dip. Just a personal texture issue ....I use a naturally sweeter tobacco (Orinoko) and try not to over top or flavor it . Just enough to give some taste . I've had good luck with addition of fire cured leaf and then adding molasses ,salt and apple juice for a base flavoring. Addition of cinnamon or wintergreen for me. I have made some accidental Peach dip when I added too much peach flavored bird dog bourbon to what I was attempting to make a peach topped cavendish, turned out it wouldn't burn, but made better chew.

greenmonster714

Thanks for the input guys. The strongest I'm growing would probably be the Indian Black. I may have to put a few rustica's on the list for next year. I dip just as much if not more than I smoke my pipe. I don't smoke in the house so I get my nic from the snuff when I'm stuck inside with foul weather or in the evening.

Harley: I'd not thought about making chew. I've tried chew before and did like it. I can imagine the homemade variety is far better than store bought.

Smokes: Where do ya find Vuelta? I've looked around a bit and can't seem to locate seed.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
gm714... You talking dip or snuff? Two different things.

I make lots and lots of dip. I prefer mine sweetened ( with pure sucralose so it doesn't rot my teeth) and flavored. Some of my favorites are Pina Colada, Butterscotch, Orange and occasionally Wintergreen. Because I flavor mine the variety of tobacco does not seem to matter. The past few years though I have been growing Yellow Twist Bud for my dip.

Vuelta is pretty ubiquitous on this forum. If you can't get any let me know and I'll send you some.

greenmonster714

gm714... You talking dip or snuff? Two different things.

I make lots and lots of dip. I prefer mine sweetened ( with pure sucralose so it doesn't rot my teeth) and flavored. Some of my favorites are Pina Colada, Butterscotch, Orange and occasionally Wintergreen. Because I flavor mine the variety of tobacco does not seem to matter. The past few years though I have been growing Yellow Twist Bud for my dip.

Vuelta is pretty ubiquitous on this forum. If you can't get any let me know and I'll send you some.

Thanks for the reply. I have some ytb growing this year. Ya say it doesn't really matter about the strain? I kinda understand why with the flavoring and all that. But what about the nic strength? Does that factor in somewhere? I prefer snuff like long cut grizzly or Skoal. So that's what I am shooting for. Wintergreen seems to be my go to flavor but the ones you mentioned sound interesting.

About the Vuelta. Do you mean you have seed?

bsthebenster

I make leaf chew like Redman or Levi Garret rather than dip. Just a personal texture issue ....I use a naturally sweeter tobacco (Orinoko) and try not to over top or flavor it . Just enough to give some taste . I've had good luck with addition of fire cured leaf and then adding molasses ,salt and apple juice for a base flavoring. Addition of cinnamon or wintergreen for me. I have made some accidental Peach dip when I added too much peach flavored bird dog bourbon to what I was attempting to make a peach topped cavendish, turned out it wouldn't burn, but made better chew.

If I may ask, which ratio do you find works best with fire cured? I can imagine that adding too much would simply overpower all of the other flavours. Do you use a particular amount of fire cured in relation to the other tobaccos in your blends?

Nik Vee

Jitterbugdude,

this is is my first year growing and I grew some Havana. From your comment it doesn’t seem to matter than strained if I’m going to flavor it anyway. For the pure sucralose did you get it in powder form? And what is your recipe and curing process for the tobacco?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Nik Vee

Thanks Bob

Isnt snus fairly different from dip. I have done snus in the past and definelty has a different feel than long cut moist snuff

Status
Not open for further replies.