Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar varieties

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordPipestoke

Hi,

I know I've seen threads before this one which asks 'which cigar varieties to grow' but I can't seem to find any that answers my question. It's time for me to get seeds though, so I can start the next grow.

When it comes to cigars, I like something that isn't too strong. I also like something that is 'naturally aromatic.' I'm not after adding flavours, as I tend to prefer tobaccos without additions.

When it comes to cigars, I know very little. I have the occasional one, but with tobacco prices as they are in Australia, it's devilishly prohibitive. What I like however, is something that is a little difficult for me to describe. It's an aroma I get already from when I smell the cigar (something I enjoy nearly as much as smoking the thing!) before lighting it. I'll list a few things which I feel have some of the same smells, but without any one of them being 'that smell.' It's a smell that isn't sweet, but which is a smell, the same way that sweet is a smell.

I've had elements of that smell in the following:

Fragrant hay. Not just 'cut grass' but like the hay from a meadow with heather in it, too.
Honey. This is probably where I get it most. Fragrant honey though - but not flowery.
Some cheeses. Yes, even that. Not sour though.

My guess is that a lot of that comes from the processing of the tobacco. Perhaps more so than what leaf is actually used.

My plan is two varieties, unless someone talks me into three. That said, I have limited space and will be planting mostly Virginia for my pipe.

What should I try?

Cheers,

PS

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Damn! Cheezy honey hay. It's significant that you do not mention "earthy" and "barnyard," which are common to most Habano, Criollo and Corojo types.

I'll go out on a limb here, and suggest Long Red and Besuki. Besuki is really only useful for wrappers and binders, since the aroma is subdued. The richness of the cigar would be adjusted by using different stalk levels of the Long Red. Both of these varieties are prolific producers.

Other members might have a better crack at suggesting varieties, if you can name a few commercial cigars that you've enjoyed.

Bob

Charly

I have to say that I am lost with your "smell" definition LordPipeStoke :D
As Bob says, if you can tell us which cigars you enjoyed, it could help us understand what you are looking for :)

Status
Not open for further replies.