Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Raisin Extract for loose-leaf chew, long storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanM22

Ok, so I just pulled out a few bags of homemade loose-leaf chew that I bagged individually. They were dated April and May of last year.

I'm pleased to say it's mold free. I use raisin extract, and I credit that as the main reason.

I make a Redman style.. grape juice concentrate, prune juice concentrate, molasses, a little honey, mullein, licorice, glycerine, salt, water to thin it out, and the raisin extract.

The grape and prune concentrates absolutely help to combat mold, but raisin extract is the key. A website called Newport Flavours has the one I use.. $10 shipped for a 1 oz bottle of the organic version. 3-4 drops are enough for a full pouch. It also goes well with tobacco's natural flavor and aroma.

If anyone makes chew for storage, de-clumpify the sticky lumps before bagging. They don't get to breathe if they're in clumps, and that promotes mold.

Peace :)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've made my own raisin extract for pipe tobacco and along with a little licorice extract it was pretty good but not so good that I'll make it again. I'm mainly a "natural" type guy when it comes to tobacco. The raisin extract that Ryan22 mentioned would probably be a lot better tasting than a homemade version.

ChinaVoodoo

I've made my own raisin extract for pipe tobacco and along with a little licorice extract it was pretty good but not so good that I'll make it again. I'm mainly a "natural" type guy when it comes to tobacco. The raisin extract that Ryan22 mentioned would probably be a lot better tasting than a homemade version.

By natural, I assume you mean tobacco only. I'm fine with natural ingredients, myself. Someone gave me some home made kinnikinnick recently...all kinds of stuff in it, but all natural. Surprisingly good.

ChinaVoodoo

What is kinnikinnick?

It's a Native Canadian smoking mixture, (and American too, I presume).

Eastern tribes have traditionally used Nicotiana rustica for social smoking, while western tribes usually use a variety of kinnikinick for ceremonial use. Cutler cites Edward S. Rutsch's study of the Iroquois, listing ingredients used by other Native American tribes: leaves or bark of red osier dogwood, arrowroot, red sumac, laurel, ironwood, wahoo, squaw huckleberry, Indian tobacco, cherry bark, and mullein, among other ingredients.

I've also heard of cured raspberry leaf being an ingredient.

ChinaVoodoo

Ok, so I just pulled out a few bags of homemade loose-leaf chew that I bagged individually. They were dated April and May of last year.

I'm pleased to say it's mold free. I use raisin extract, and I credit that as the main reason.

I make a Redman style.. grape juice concentrate, prune juice concentrate, molasses, a little honey, mullein, licorice, glycerine, salt, water to thin it out, and the raisin extract.

The grape and prune concentrates absolutely help to combat mold, but raisin extract is the key. A website called Newport Flavours has the one I use.. $10 shipped for a 1 oz bottle of the organic version. 3-4 drops are enough for a full pouch. It also goes well with tobacco's natural flavor and aroma.

If anyone makes chew for storage, de-clumpify the sticky lumps before bagging. They don't get to breathe if they're in clumps, and that promotes mold.

Peace :)

I'm sorry Ryan. I didn't mean to change the topic. What I am interested in knowing is the reason for lack of mold. Why would you guess that the extract prevented mold? Is it alcohol content, the tannins, or something else, perhaps?

RyanM22

No need to apologize. Raisin juice concentrate is used in some natural breads in place of chemicals to combat mold. The extract works similarly.

I'm not into the science behind it, all I care about is that it tastes good and that it works.. LOL.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Raisin Juice Concentrate contains propionic and tartaric acid. In the same manner that vinegar (acetic acid) inhibits mold growth, Raisin Juice Concentrate lowers the pH.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Seems like if it acidified the tobacco it'd be counterproductive though in a sense.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Beats me. Raisin as well as prune juice concentrates are used in commercial baking as a mold inhibitor, based on their acid content.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.