Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wooda's first grow, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooda2008

Hey all,

This log is going to have two parallel grows; one with some robust plants provided by BigBonner, and another with some local Rustica seeds I started very, very late.

So let's get started!

Grow 1 is in the ground. A little bruised from Usps, but looking good.

20170525_165122_zps7argvjxg.jpg

20170525_171311_zps0qur8fty.jpg

That's 10 rusticas, 8 YTB and 8 Silver River.

Meanwhile, the native rusticas are growing. slowly. They sprouted 3 weeks ago.

20170525_181954_zpsouubobpr.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Awesome to see another Vermont grow! And good idea going with bigb's transplants, 2 months saved. Do you know what strain of rustica you have there? I sent some rustica to someone in Burlington was that you?

wooda2008

Awesome to see another Vermont grow! And good idea going with bigb's transplants, 2 months saved. Do you know what strain of rustica you have there? I sent some rustica to someone in Burlington was that you?

Hi smokes, that was me. I never actually got those seeds, and figured you got busy and forgot to send them and didn't want to bug you :(
These are from an Abenaki friend that grows it in her garden. No idea what variety.

Everything is going to be topped or bagged to keep them pure.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Naw, that's the postal professionals, they mangled my box of bigbonners plants too, they crushed the box in order to fit it inside the mailbox. I still have more though, I'm not going to grow that variety again you can have the rest of my corn planter seed if you were excited about that variety.

I'll be watching that abenaki one with interest. Corn planter was a tad on the small side but rustica isn't necessarily small. This is GC 1
attachment.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I didn't have a lot of seed but then had one seed vendor and one whole leaf vendor ask me for them this spring. I gave all of them to bigbonner and skychaser of north wood seeds. It'll be very, very available soon.

If it's not too late for you to start this year I believe some of our friends in Europe also have it, but if not, within a year or 2 it will be easily obtainable.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Gujarat Calcutti 1. Indian commercial strain of rustica. This is old, they are up to gct4 but it's basically unobtainable, the first generation is just a little lower yielding so no biggie as it still yields well.

ChinaVoodoo

Gujarat Calcutti 1. Indian commercial strain of rustica. This is old, they are up to gct4 but it's basically unobtainable, the first generation is just a little lower yielding so no biggie as it still yields well.

I wonder what they use it for. Cheroots, maybe. The Indian cheroots I smoked were insanely potent. Maybe they use it in paan.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Rustica is grown for smokeless there, and the strains are different based on what growing region it is marketed for.

Here is a brief list of varieties
Screenshot_20170530-085041.jpg

I've never smoked hookah, but if it's anything like a pipe don't smoke this strain in it.

Charly

Welcome Wooda and good luck with your tobacco :)
What are you planning to do with your rustica ? cigars ? snus ? tell us more ;)

wooda2008

Welcome Wooda and good luck with your tobacco :)
What are you planning to do with your rustica ? cigars ? snus ? tell us more ;)
Nasal snuff and to add to cigar filler, but mostly for ceremony. The yellow twist bud and silver river are going to be little cigars and blended for pipe smoking.

I might wash some and make shisha to see how it goes.

wooda2008

A minor setback in the Tobacco patch. I have cutworms. Overnight they ate through 5 of my plants. I found and squished 3 of the buggers and applied grub killer with Imidacloprid. It's all they had at the hardware store besides 7, and I didn't want to go full nuclear.

20170602_125442_zpsq60j0lel.jpg

20170602_125447_zpsy4tfut7h.jpg

However, the Cornplanter I started is taking off. Some have withered stems but the leafs are still growin, and my pan of extras is going gangbusters.

20170602_134647_zpsbmj46igz.jpg

20170602_134732_zpsjzl2unif.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently imidacloprid will work as a preventive measure for next year, when applied in late summer and fall. It is not very effective for killing grubs in late spring. It did not kill the grubs (cutworms) that were in the vicinity of my tobacco that was transplanted with imidacloprid in the transplant water.

Here is a discussion related to grubs in turf.

Michigan State Univ Extension said:
Products containing imidacloprid, thiamethoxam, clothianidin or chlorantraniloprole will not control grubs in the spring. They are preventive products that work very well on newly hatched grubs present in July, but do not work well for large grubs found from September to May.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/how_to_choose_and_when_to_apply_grub_control_products_for_your_lawn
The article goes on to list chemicals that will kill springtime grubs.

Bob

Alpine

Interesting... we don't have cutworms here, but the various pests I have in my baccy garden always prefer my rusticas. Slugs, snails and grasshoppers tend to eat rusticas first, then bright leafs, burleys and last (but usually only little damage) the orientals. Rusticas are robust plants, but they must be very sweet in taste! Or, my bugs have developed a bad nicotine addiction...

Pier

Charly

Bad luck with the cutworms... :(

Or, my bugs have developed a bad nicotine addiction...

:D :D :D

Here (in France) the creatures seem to be attracted by rustica too, I remember last year, I found a lot of insects on the rustica plants, whereas the other varieties seemed to attract less insects...
Maybe I should have grown rustica again this year... just to attract insects (and kill them with a load of nicotine...)

Gavroche

The aphids are idiots, they come they suck ... the sap, they die, and we, the leaves are damaged ... where is their interest? ...
les pucerons sont idiots, ils viennent ils piquent ils en meurent, et nous, les feuilles sont abîmées ... où est votre intérêt? ...

Status
Not open for further replies.