Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Home test for Soil Texture...Sand, Silt, Clay %

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmonster714

Found this the other day and thought it would be interesting enough to share. I have not tried this yet but plan on doing so next year before planting just to see how it works out. It appears to be rather simple and easy to follow. My growing plots seem to be a mixture of rock, sand, and clay. This simple test may give me a rough idea of how much of each I do have.

************How can I test for soil texture at home?

One of the most popular home tests for measuring the percentage of sand, silt, and clay involves nothing more sophisticated than a quart or liter glass jar with lid and a ruler. It is based on the rate these different particle types settle in water. The large, boulder shaped sand particles settle the fastest, followed by the smaller particles of silt, and then followed by the very small and flattened particles of clay.

Collect about 2 cups (500 ml) of soil to be tested and pick out the bulk of the organic matter. Let the sample dry in the sun and break up any clumps by tapping with a hammer. Put about 3/4 cup (200 ml) of the soil sample into the glass jar, fill almost to the top with water, cap the jar and shake vigorously for five minutes.
Let the jar sit undisturbed for 24 hours and measure the depth of the settled soil with the ruler. This is the total amount of soil particles. Shake the jar again for an additional 5 minutes and allow it to stand for 40 seconds. Measure the settled soil. This is the amount of sand in the sample.
Keep the jar undisturbed and measure the settled soil at the end of 30 minutes. This is the amount of sand and silt together. Subtract the amount of sand from that total for the amount of silt.
Subtract the amount of sand and silt together from the total amount of soil particles to obtain the amount of clay.
Percentage of sand = (depth of sand/total depth) * 100
Percentage of silt = (depth of silt/total depth) * 100
Percentage of clay = (depth of clay/total depth) * 100

Smokin Harley

yep ,thats how we did it in soils class in Horticulture college.
quart jar with lid
soil sample- pulverized and dried
water (distilled)
shake and let settle

Smokin Harley

kiln dried so it didn't gum up the pulverizer...then distilled water was added so we could check the pH at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.