Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tips on starting seeds (posts nominated for special consideration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Mold and damping-off prevention - most garden centers or nurseries sell milled sphagnum moss as a seed starter. It is excellent product for inhibiting spores. Just a light dusting of this stuff on the surface of the growing medium/soil, before dropping the seeds, will eliminate the problem. Been using this for years and never have a damp-off or mold problem. The bag I have is at least 20+ years old, and it's only half gone - it requires so little of the stuff at planting time. I take a pinch of it, rub it between my fingers over the seed pots, just enough to lightly dust the surface.

As a medium to grow seeds in, by itself - it sucks !!! And not worth spending the $$$ to blend this with other seed starting materials. But to dust the soil surfaces at planting time, it's a miracle worker.

I've never tried it to stop mold or damping-off after it's occurred, so can't say if it will help now with the problem. I just know it works if done before seeding, and regret it whenever I've forgotten to use it. It's probably too late as most have already started seeds, but if you are just now starting seed, or re-starting, give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Last night I sprayed some 3% hydrogen peroxide on my wife's peat pots that had mold on them. Within 5 minutes all of the mold was gone. I highly recommend it. As of this morning it did not effect the seedlings. I tried various concentrations last year on full grown tobacco. I started out small and eventually made it to 3% peroxide and there was no ill affect. good stuff.. give it a try.

Randy B

Status
Not open for further replies.