Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tornadoes in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I read a news article today about a tornado in Alberta. That seemed unusual to me. I had never heard of tornadoes in Canada. So I did a little searching.

It turns out that, after the US, Canada experiences the most tornadoes annually. While Dorothy knows about the tornado alley that runs through Kansas, there are two tornado alleys in Canada, one of which reaches well into Alberta. And they get some big ones there.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/n...-canada-everything-you-need-to-know/25876/1/1

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Indeed. The area of the southern border between Alberta and Saskatchewan hold record temperatures. I have seen funnel clouds a number of times. Even when there are no touchdowns, we can have some fierce thunder and hail storms. Edmonton itself was hit by a devastating tornado in '87. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_tornado
download-2.jpg yes, that is a refinery next to the tornado.

ChinaVoodoo

Here is a map showing the path of the Black Friday tornado. Can you imagine if it passed a kilometer or two more west?
220px-1987_Edmonton_Tornado_path.png

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
tornadoMowing.jpg

"Our whole street, everyone was on their back patios taking pictures..."

Apparently, folks are more relaxed about this sort of thing in Alberta.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This video is from near Calgary, posted yesterday. Ho hum.

Bob

[It looks identical to the tornado in the facebook post above. So this is probably 2 June 2016.]

ChinaVoodoo

The media says Three Hills is near Calgary all the time. I don't get it. It's an hour away and requires at least two different highways to travel between the two. My theory is that it stems from Calgary's insecurity and need for attention.

If you needed to landmark it to someplace closer, I'd say it's a small town half way between Drumheller and Red Deer.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Everybody in the US knows of Canada, and could probably point it out on a map. (It's the neighbor that's not Mexico.) Some people in the US have actually heard of Alberta. Of those people, most have heard the names Calgary and Edmonton at some time or other. I would guess that not many would know which city is north, which is south.

Drumheller, you say?

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Everybody in the US knows of Canada, and could probably point it out on a map. (It's the neighbor that's not Mexico.) Some people in the US have actually heard of Alberta. Of those people, most have heard the names Calgary and Edmonton at some time or other. I would guess that not many would know which city is north, which is south.

Drumheller, you say?

Bob

Oh yeah. It makes sense that international news would say "Near Calgary". The local media says the same thing about Three Hills, though.

And I'm willing to bet, Bob, that you know where Drumheller is, (and why it's important).

burge

We have a lot during the summer. Funnel clouds luckily Calgary is really spared as we are too close to the mountains.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Everybody knows that Drumheller is the home of the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology, founded by Phil Currie, dinosaur hunter extraordinaire.

(I couldn't have found it on a map, without doing a Google search. Sigh.)

Bob

burge

Scary skies out there tonight. Could be a wild one somewhere in Alberta.

Charly

Those weathers are really beautifull and scary at the same time !
Mother nature can be so powerfull...

burge

I have been there. Cool just as you cross the Red Deer river on the right there is a huge dinosaur life size. Kind of a neat place to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.