Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Good dual purpose blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

I am a cigarette smoker and only takes up pipe recently mostly because of this forum. And I am liking it. But the problem for me is pipe smoking takes longer and my smoking break during work is very limited. It only take 5 minutes to smoke a cigarette but pipe requires more than 20 minutes even with my small home made corn cob pipe.

I have been experimenting with pipe tobacco in cig tube but the result are disappointing. I tried erinmore latakia supreme, while it is very flavorful in a pipe, in cig tube it tasted like sucking on straw. Recently I tried Peterson Irish Oak, and it did give full flavor smoke mainly I thinl because of burley in the mix. Smoking pipe tobacco in cig tube also reduce the nicotine I get from the tobacco despite inhaling the smoke.

I have read that several OTC pipe tobacco in the US are good dual purpose tobacco. So I am thinking, with my limited homegrown tobacco choice, are there any blend you guys tried that are great in pipe and cigarette? My homegrown virginia flakes is good but I need more flavor in my smokes.

ChinaVoodoo

Canadian cigarettes are 100% flue cured, and there's millions of happy cigarette smokers here. My wife occasionally makes cigarettes with my tobacco. She seems content with both 100% flue cured bright (Helena, Ostrolist, Ternopolski or Costello) and 100% air cured bright (frog eye Orinoco or symbol 4). I find smoking them straight in my pipe to burn the tongue a bit. Adding Hungarian, dark air, perique or burley to the blends helps.

As for commercial varieties, maybe try MacBaren Dark Twist. I've heard people complain about MacBaren, but I'll stand by Dark Twist as their best product.

burge

Some red mixed in with the lemon and American flue cured should be tasty.

Leftynick

Canadian cigarettes are 100% flue cured, and there's millions of happy cigarette smokers here. My wife occasionally makes cigarettes with my tobacco. She seems content with both 100% flue cured bright (Helena, Ostrolist, Ternopolski or Costello) and 100% air cured bright (frog eye Orinoco or symbol 4). I find smoking them straight in my pipe to burn the tongue a bit. Adding Hungarian, dark air, perique or burley to the blends helps.

As for commercial varieties, maybe try MacBaren Dark Twist. I've heard people complain about MacBaren, but I'll stand by Dark Twist as their best product.

How will perique taste in cigarette? Has your wife try some?

I have some Frog Eye Orinoco growing. I hear it is fuller in flavor that regular flue cure variety, and higher in nicotine too. You give me idea for flue cure/burley mix for dual purpose blend. These two are my main grow this year.

Leftynick

Some red mixed in with the lemon and American flue cured should be tasty.

I air cure all my tobacco. All flue cure variety from different part of plant is very tasty with pipe, but in cigarette it is very light.

Silverone858

Smoking pipe tobacco in cig tube also reduce the nicotine I get from the tobacco despite inhaling the smoke.
I rolled a cigarette (no filter) from a 6 Virginia blend of my local b&m inhaled 3 drags and got so sick, I thought the nic was higher in pipe blends. I could be wrong but I have been careful since. It's been a few years since I had a cigarette though I do inhale through my nose while I smoke with a pipe.

Leftynick

I rolled a cigarette (no filter) from a 6 Virginia blend of my local b&m inhaled 3 drags and got so sick, I thought the nic was higher in pipe blends. I could be wrong but I have been careful since. It's been a few years since I had a cigarette though I do inhale through my nose while I smoke with a pipe.

I did inhale through nose when smoking pipe, but not all the time. I don't know why but when I smoke Irish Oak through pipe it gives strong kick but in cigarette it not so strong, in fact it just like regular strength tobacco. I seems to recall that Bob once said it is the diameter of pipe making it has more volume of smoke than cigarette and led to higher nic hit.

greenmonster714

I'd probably get sick as well. Inhaling a unfiltered cig is a quick delivery if nic. Even though I puff and dip it would probably make me dizzy too.

Leftynick

My experiment on dual purpose blend. My blend consist of

40% big gem (air cured)
30% harrow velvet
15% samsun 85 (air cured)
5% traditional tobacco (for spiciness)

Shredded, and keep in a jar for a week. After a week the smell seem to be melding better. The dominant smell is the Samsun. Smoking this in a cigarette tasted like a very high oriental blend, very smooth, too much flavor and low sweetness. It is not a great cigarette taste but smokable. The traditional tobacco and burley add some body to the smoke.

Then I try it in my briar pipe, it become a great blend. It is complex, each puff give different taste but the sweetness seems to be fading, it became somewhat bitter but not too much. It is also highly spicy from the first puff (pepper spicy). The major taste is burley with hint of oriental and virginia in the background.

All i can say is this first experiment is moderately successful. I think I need to lower the oriental and burley for my next experiment. I will keep the leftover for a month to see whether the flavor will be better. Maybe tame the spiciness in pipe a bit and mellow the oriental taste in cigarette.
14976242914931253633893.jpg1497624348069-28839454.jpg

DistillingJim

When you say traditional tobacco - do you mean a regional Malay tobacco or something from a shop?

Leftynick

Regional malay tobacco. It is the one I have been smoking until now. Only sun cured and not aged. Usually sold for nipa leaves cigarette tobacco. Quite strong in taste and nicotine. I will upload piture of the tobacco later.

Status
Not open for further replies.