Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

When do leaves start to smell good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
A bowl of salt? How does that work? I've never heard of that before.
the salt will absorb excess moisture and if it becomes liquified you have too high humidity. The main concern is to prevent mold I would imagine so the salt just lets you know if your in jeopardy of the possibility of mold due to excess moisture and your leaves may be to high case.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Within a closed container (say, a kiln), a mixture of rock salt and water will maintain the relative humidity within the container at 75%, until the rock salt completely dries out. So it acts like a humidity buffer. You can use this to calibrate a hygrometer.

At 125ºF, mold can not grow.

Bob

mwaller

I'm guessing you'd need a pretty large bowl of rock salt to counter the humidifying effects of the crock pot. Have you tried this?

BarG

Founding Member
no, you don't. a small bowl. it is just a measure, you can gauge your leaves to check case. As bob mentioned keep temp at 120-125 to prevent mold. it is fun to try and make it happen. If you make a mistake there is no loss. just do better next time. Your tobacco will still be good , just not perfect. heh heh

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I ran a small Crockpot kiln for a couple of years using both a remote hygrometer and an 8 oz. cup of rock salt. The RH pretty much remained at 75%. The remote hygrometer finally gave out from the kiln temps, and I didn't replace it. Once I recognized that mold just won't grow at 125ºF, I gave up on the salt as well.

Currently, I just run my kiln at 120-125º, replenish the Crockpot water when it runs out, and watch the calendar.

With my kiln (the endoskeletal kiln) running in my enclosed back porch, I am always treated to the wonderful aroma of warm tobacco. Also, my curing shed smells like weeds when I first start housing green leaf, but once some of it has begun to color, the aroma grows more and more inviting.

Bob

mwaller

Thanks, guys. Sounds like I will be good with just a crock pot and a temperature controller.

Smokin Harley

You should probably ask Bob. I just get mine until they smell good, then let them sit in a deep drawer in my tobacco room for a few months, or roll some and sit them in one of my cedar humidors for 6 months before I ever touch them. Then again, I'm partial to cedar. And I have plenty of tobacco built up now. The only thing I'm missing now is some WLT leaves I like. We're gone in July, so I'll probably put in an order in August.

hey Dave, im not growing this year since we moved...in fact ,I just got back from a log days drive and meanwhile we got our internet hooked up.. i packed my 2016 crop into clear gasketed tubs to move, I packed it just after a long rainy week (back in March) so I wouldn't shatter them. they scrunched and packed quite tight . I cracked a tub open just to get a whiff and they are much sweeter smelling .

Status
Not open for further replies.