Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wind and rain caused my plants to lean over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

It has been cloudy, off and on. This 'flopping over' only seems to happen on cloudy and rainy days. When the sun pops out, they seem to perk up nicely.

greenmonster714

Totally agree. They look fine. No reason to believe the plant will fail. With a little wind the stalks will strengthen and the plant will take off. Heavy rains will pound the leaves down but they usually pop right back up. This being my first go round with tobacco doesn't make me an expert but I can't see any reason why your plants wouldnt grow big and strong.

mwaller

Do you leave them, or prop them up? I've been madly trying to prop them up, but it seems a bit like an exercise in futility.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I usually prop the base of the stalk. If the top is slumped over, it just has to correct itself.

The more saturated the soil, the greater the likelihood that a gust of wind will tip a stalk.

Is this happening to many of your plants, or just a tiny few?

Bob

mwaller

It has happened at least once to most of my plants in the raised bed, but on different occasions. I've been propping up the fallen plants with stakes, and that seems to have made many of them a bit more stable. The Havana 142 in the picture above weren't so cooperative. Two days ago, they flopped the opposite direction. Soon after I propped them up, they flopped in the direction shown.
The soil is pretty saturated at the moment, so that is likely part of the problem. The sun is expected to make an appearance this weekend, so I'm hoping that helps them stand tall again.

Leftynick

Another rainy day, and this is what I come home to... does this happen to anyone else?
View attachment 20946

Mine are doing worse during rain and a day after raining. During rain they will be floppy, and day after they will look wilted (like it don't get any water for weeks) sometimes yellowing. But it will always return to normal after 2-3 days of sun. We receive a too many rain this year and my bed even waterlogged for days at time. I don't stake them unless I see them uprooted.

BarG

Founding Member
let the weather do its thing. when it settles straightn your plants before they readjust themselves or you will be readjustingr every which way and the stalks will look like a boomerang. I will live with that, thats what happens during windstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.