Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How many primings for cigar varieties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwaller

How many leaves do you prime at a time, and what does a "perfectly ripe" cigar leaf look like?
Varieties in question are Corojo 99, Criollo 98, Vuelta Abajo, Havana 142, Florida Sumatra, and Little Dutch.
Thanks!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For cigar leaf, look for mature, rather than ripe. I typically prime cigar leaf when the very tip of the leaf begins to yellow. I prime as many as are ready. Sometimes this is two leaves, sometimes four or even five.

At maturity, the leaf will begin to demonstrate some thickening and corrugation of the leaf surface.

Bob

Ben Brand

I always fold the leaf between forefinger and thumb, give it a bit of a squeeze, if the leaf crack its ready for reaping if not, leave for another week or so.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
For filler I like it thicker, but it makes a hard to burn binder unless everything is bunched just so, and then it's a very slow and enjoyable smoke. Maybe experiment with letting some ripen all the way too. Just something to think about.

Leftynick

For filler I like it thicker, but it makes a hard to burn binder unless everything is bunched just so, and then it's a very slow and enjoyable smoke. Maybe experiment with letting some ripen all the way too. Just something to think about.

so the more it ripe the thicker the leaf? I will take note on this for my current cigar variety. Just for experiment.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah goes from papery to leathery, that applies to burning qualities too hehe. But-if it's bunched without soft spots with decent airflow it'll burn. It's like building a cigar with all upper leaf. It can be a hassle but worth trying.

rainmax

Founding Member
Didier Houvenaghel is Belgian agricultural engineer who specialized in Cuba for Black tobacco. He is also owner of a brand cigars Nicarao.
This is a short reading from his book:

"The cigar from soil to soul".

and he says, six primings...

harvest.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. He makes it sound as though the leaves at a specific zone on all the plants mature in synchrony. My tobacco is not that well behaved.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah, amazing when everything is just done so masterfully when someone is selling up their brand.

mwaller

For cigar leaf, look for mature, rather than ripe. I typically prime cigar leaf when the very tip of the leaf begins to yellow. I prime as many as are ready. Sometimes this is two leaves, sometimes four or even five.

At maturity, the leaf will begin to demonstrate some thickening and corrugation of the leaf surface.

Bob

Most of my plants have been topped within the last two weeks. I keep looking for yellowing tips, but what I mostly see is an even paling across the entire leaf.
I reviewed a number or grow blogs from past years, and most of the harvested cigar leaves seem pretty green to me.
Does anyone have a picture of a "perfectly mature" cigar leaf that is ready to be picked?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Each variety looks different, and maturity/ripeness differs in appearance depending on stalk position. If the leaf stem snaps from the stalk like a stick of cellery, then it's reasonable to prime for cigar wrapper. If the stem is more flexible, then wait. For fillers, the more mature, the richer and stronger the result.

Garden20160905_2270_Corojo99_matureToRipe_400.jpg

Past "mature", exhibiting an alligator texture and coloration.

Garden20160815_2238_NostranoDelBrenta_matureLeaf_600.jpg

Slight tip yellowing.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.