Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reviews on WLT

Re: Reviews on WLT

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagZeppelin View Post
    Just now called (9:20 am EST on MONDAY) and got the answering machine. I did leave a message.
    Sorry I missed your call. I was out picking up car parts.

Thanks for the samples, Don. Much appreciated.

I never knew to include my forum name on my orders till a few days ago. Very nice of you to toss me the samples.

~Will

Just got my order of Dark air, and red tips. Very first time with "raw" leaf.
    Can't wait to make chew with it to see how it comes out.
    Any suggestions on storing it?
    Like said, new to the leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wdboss View Post
    I'm not familiar with tobacco chew at all. But its tobacco still so you want to preserve as much moisture content you can after shredding it.

I like using covered glass containers best. If you store long term in plastic it imparts a weird flavor to me. I bought circular glass containers at Walmart, they have a plastic lid that fits pretty snug.

I make cigarettes with my tobacco shred, and I press the pile of shred down AS HARD AS I CAN when storing it. It becomes a cake of baccy!

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagZeppelin View Post
    I'm not familiar with tobacco chew at all. But its tobacco still so you want to preserve as much moisture content you can after shredding it.

I like using covered glass containers best. If you store long term in plastic it imparts a weird flavor to me. I bought circular glass containers at Walmart, they have a plastic lid that fits pretty snug.

I make cigarettes with my tobacco shred, and I press the pile of shred down AS HARD AS I CAN when storing it. It becomes a cake of baccy!
    Thanks, I was already planning on storing in glass containers after getting it ready to cook up into chew. I think it will be ok in the sealed bags in a cool dark closet until ready to remove mid rib.
    Once cooked up, I'll store in a gallon jar until chewed up, probably two jars to age after cooking up, that way I'll always have a supply. Can't wait.

Thanks, I was already planning on storing in glass containers after getting it ready to cook up into chew. I think it will be ok in the sealed bags in a cool dark closet until ready to remove mid rib.
    Once cooked up, I'll store in a gallon jar until chewed up, probably two jars to age after cooking up, that way I'll always have a supply. Can't wait.
    Sounds like you have a handle on this. Best of luck! The Lemon Virginia Flu Cure you might also like. Has just a bit of a citrusy taste not much, but the cure on it is very good. Most of it shreds up perfectly, not much shake. The Red is more flavorful but tends to dry out more, which results in a higher percentage of "shake"/powdery tobacco.

Yes leave it in the vapor proof bags till you are ready to shred the tobacco. I have actual tobacco tubs here that make a difference so when shredded I press it into the can and make a cake. Our 100 gram tubs of blow up tobacco I put a pound in one of those. It ferments and the leaf bonds. I can actually feel the plastic expanding when I press it down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12