Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Garlic Scape Pickles

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I collected all the scapes from my Slovenian Anka garlic, and also picked two grape leaves and a sprig of dill weed.

Garden20170615_2721_garlicScapePickles_picked_600.jpg

Although the garlic scapes, if diced, would easily fit into a pint jar, they really needed a quart jar to fit them whole.

Into the clean, empty quart jar (I actually measured none of these):
  • black peppercorns (maybe 1 tbsp)
  • yellow mustard seed (~1 tsp)
  • dried Japanese peppers (2)
  • dill seed (~1 tsp)
  • coriander seed (~6)
  • bay leaf

Brine to make 1 quart + (I actually made 3/4 quart):
  • water 1 quart
  • distilled vinegar 1/4 cup
  • pickling salt 1/4 cup (= 4 tbsp)

The veggies were washed and drained. I placed the two grape leaves along the sides of the jar, then completed the Chinese puzzle of getting all the curled scapes to fit. The dill sprig (mostly for its appearance) was inserted.

On top of all this, I added a thinly sliced, tiny purple onion.

Garden20170615_2722_garlicScapePickles_inJar1_600.jpg

The white lid is from a standard mayonnaise jar. The grid circle is used to hold all the veggies beneath the brine, and is made from a needle craft disk (available at fabric stores). The grid is forced below the shoulder of the jar.

The brine is mixed in a non-reactive pot (stainless), and heated until all the salt is dissolved, and bubbles form easily after stirring. I do not allow it to reach boiling.

I stand the jar on a flat basket (used for holding a paper plate), so that the hot jar is not resting directly on the counter top. A trivet or hot pad works as well. Using a plastic canning funnel in the top of the jar, I pour all the hot brine to a level with about 1/2" of clearance of the top rim of the jar.

Garden20170615_2724_garlicScapePickles_inJarBrine_400.jpg

The hot, but not boiling brine blanches the surface of the veggies (sterilizes them), but is not hot enough to cook the veggie through. With the non-sealing lid on, the jar will remain on the counter top for 1 to 3 weeks, at room temperature. [The vinegar acidity is sufficient to prevent botulism.] This method depends on the production of lactic acid within the vegetable, and results in lactic acid pickles, rather than vinegar pickles. The grape leaves contribute tannin, which will help maintain crispness.

[The old fashioned brine recipe consists only of room temperature water and salt. The lactic fermentation is more aggressive, without the heat and the vinegar. But it is just the luck of the draw, whether or not you get spoilage or pickles.]

In a day or three, the jar will begin to show subtle bubbling, as the lactic fermentation progresses. Sometimes I need to stand the jar in a small plate, to catch any liquid. Once the bubbling stops, then it goes into the refrigerator. My experience with using this method for making pickles of cucumbers, onion, peppers, and several other vegetables, is that they keep well in the fridge for many months. If they become slippery or have an off odor, then they should be discarded.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Standard distilled (white) vinegar in US grocery stores is 5% acetic acid. That is what I use for pickling. (If you have 7%, then just use 2/3 as much.)

For those unfamiliar with pickling, the salt should be non-iodized.

Bob

EDIT: I should also add that the spices (peppercorns, mustard, etc.) are completely arbitrary, and can be whatever you like. If you use "pickling spice," you end up with a sweeter flavor. I prefer a dry, dill and garlic flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.