Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Piloto Cubano

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Come fall, I should have seeds for you.
I can tell you it is a very slow grower at the seedling stage. It is also slow to germinate. I would start it two weeks before all the other varieties. If you want to see what it's like to smoke, you should order some from Don.

http://wholeleaftobacco.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=Piloto

The Canadian germplasm bank has an accession called Piloto Cubano Cotui. I keep talking about finding a way to order from them, but still haven't gotten down to business. http://pgrc3.agr.ca/cgi-bin/npgs/html/acchtml.pl?37617

mwaller

Thanks ChinaVoodoo! I will watch your blog with great interest. I believe Bob also grew this at one point, and found it very slow to germinate.

Tutu

I've used PC a lot as fillers in self made cigars while I was in the DR. Liked them a lot although they're a little on the strong side for what I usually smoke.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It was placed into the kiln after hanging a year in the shed. It kilns to a rich, flavorful leaf. The lower leaves came out a claro-colorado to light maduro, with medium strength and robust aroma. Upper leaf (some of which I still have not smoked) is a very dark maduro, though no oscuro. About a quarter of one upper leaf is sufficient to crank up the complexity and nicotine of a large cigar.

I would consider Piloto Cubano PR a blender, though it does makes some awfully nice wrappers. By contrast, Corojo 99 not only makes excellent filler, it is also great as binder and wrapper of various colors, and is delicious as a puro.

Both of these, along with Olor, are now my standard cigar leaf plantings.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.