Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

First Attempt at MYO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodiak

Well I got my first whole leaves in the mail today! I got some American Virginia Flue Cured, Canada Virginia, CT Maduro, Tennese Dark Fire Cured, and some Dark Air Cured. I was jumping around like crazy when I got the delivery notifications! I got a shredder and cigarette injector as well. I threaded the 1/2 lb of American Virginia and threw it into a mason jar. Started filling some tubes. Then decided to blend the American with the Canadian and a pinch of the Maduro because, what the hell!
Well holy smokes the American Virginia was STRONG! Good, definitely good, but man that packed more of a punch than my Marlborough Reds. The blend is the same way but tastes pretty darn good. I didn't think much of throwing a little maduro in there, but it actually gave a subtle sweetness that was delightful!
20170621_175713.jpg
20170621_183059.jpg
If anyone has any tips, this n00b could surely benefit!

larryccf

welcome to the forum

if you want to tone the strength down some, WLT offers some VA "1st priming" or Flue Cured Virginia Thin leaf ( http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Flue-Cured-Virginia-Thin-Leaf-1st-priming-FCVLght.htm ) that will definitely tone it down, nicotene wise

i like it so much i smoked it by itself - allow your tobacco to age some (4-5 months minimum) and it will taste better - the 1st priming seems to develop just the right level of "sweetness" to the taste for me

unfortunately WLT is out of stock on the 1st Priming, but Don indicated it will be back in stock in november

PS - i treated some of the Va Lemon with a mix of Vegetable PG (propylene Glycol) and water, about 5% PG / 95% water back in january this year and it developed a nice sweet taste - unfortunately the nicotene level is still higher than i'd like, so i'm waiting for the 1st Priming to come back into stock to blend with it

Zodiak

Thank you for the info laryccf! I'll definitely keep my eye out for that! Most of the tobacco I ordered was from WLT. I got some 1/4 lb samplers from leaf only. I was impressed by both. Hopefully with in time I can get an all natural smoke that tastes just right. Experimenting will be fun!

MarcL

If you want to try lightening any blend you come up with, try this. Take the smallest pin and make a hole in the highest part of the filter. increase or decrease the amount or size of them to adjust.
You'll notice a light commercial smoke has holes in it.

You'll want a higher case to shred then you will when burning.

burge

Welcome to the forum. I managed to get some lemon prime from Don and its amazing. As well Just opened a 2 year old aged lemon. Three Castles type flavor.

MarcL

Welcome to the forum. I managed to get some lemon prime from Don and its amazing. As well Just opened a 2 year old aged lemon. Three Castles type flavor.

I wish he would list that stuff already. .. no hurry..

larryccf

MarcL hit on something - as you're new to RYOing, keep in mind there's a taste dynamic between the cigarette tube's paper and the tobacco - some of the quality tubes (Gizeh and Mascotte) use a lighter thinner paper that the paper is more "taste neutral". Gizeh additionally has a number of different tube offerings, one employs paper with fine microscopic perforations, another offers charcoal in the filter which does seem to smooth out a rough smoke, and another with a longer filter (25mm).

Try a number of different tubes to see what suits your tastes

Zodiak

Thank you all for the tips and information! I'll try poking holes until I get some better tubes. How do you like the Lemon Prime, Burge?

burge

I really like it just as much as the lemon that has been aged in the bag for 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if this tobacco was used the in The Three Castles when Mark Ryan resurrected the brand sold by HBI.

BarG

Founding Member
Well I got my first whole leaves in the mail today! I got some American Virginia Flue Cured, Canada Virginia, CT Maduro, Tennese Dark Fire Cured, and some Dark Air Cured. I was jumping around like crazy when I got the delivery notifications! I got a shredder and cigarette injector as well. I threaded the 1/2 lb of American Virginia and threw it into a mason jar. Started filling some tubes. Then decided to blend the American with the Canadian and a pinch of the Maduro because, what the hell!
Well holy smokes the American Virginia was STRONG! Good, definitely good, but man that packed more of a punch than my Marlborough Reds. The blend is the same way but tastes pretty darn good. I didn't think much of throwing a little maduro in there, but it actually gave a subtle sweetness that was delightful!
View attachment 20977
View attachment 20978
If anyone has any tips, this n00b could surely benefit!

A note of caution, don't store in sealed mason jars long term unless kilned or well aged. I don't know the process but it will release an ammonia smell to your tobacco. Let it breathe a little to alleviate.Maybe poke a single hole with an ice pick in top.

BarG

Founding Member
Wait till you let it age for 2 years or longer it has the ammonia smell when you open the bag but as it breathes and gets some oxygen into it its a super light and smooth smoke.}
Does that work for small jars, I know it doesn't work short term.

BarG

Founding Member
I have stored in 5 lb vapor proof bags and some have had the ammonia smell after 5 years but it was gone and didn't affect the tobacco after it aired out. Some bags never had it. My conn. broadleaf did though, but it is smooth after 5 yrs. I need to kiln some now to see what that does.

burge

NO thanks I will pass. lol. The vapour proof bags in my opinion are the best for aging. Once the oxygen hits the leaf it smells amazing.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Pay no attention to that smell behind the curtain.

payNoAttention.jpg

An ammonia smell is an indicator that tobacco has actually aged. It is produced when albuminous proteins within the lamina are oxidized (what you want to happen). The amino groups are liberated from the protein structure, and form gaseous ammonia. If there is no ammonia smell after aging, either the container is leaky, or no aging has occurred. Just allow it to air after opening.

Bob

burge

Exactly Bob. That is what happens with the lemon in the bags and then the taste afterwards is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.