Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Attempting a roda lacket clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oglafson

I've been toying with the idea of ordering tobacco, materials and equipment necessary to make snus. While I've read a lot over the past two days on the forums, I haven't really read anything about natural, dried fruit flavors in tobacco. To those that have made your own snus and have tried roda lacket, is there any type of tobacco you'd recommend? If you're not familiar, roda lacket is a well rounded and slightly sweet snus with a gentle tobacco taste and hints of salt, leather and sweet, red berries. It's nice, mild and balanced without really much fruit flavor. It's very subtle which made me think it might just be more from the blend and aging than an artificial flavor or additive. Any advice on achieving these sorts of results would be super appreciated. I can't wait to place my first order, and get to blending my own.

oglafson

Ahhh, the site I ordered from originally didn't list any under the ingredients, but other sites do. I'll have to look into what options are available for a lingon flavors. I'm not against adding artificial flavors as I was planning on doing some experiments with some asian inspired flavored snus. Any idea what works better, water or oil based flavors?

oglafson

Apologies for double posting, but I couldn't find an edit button. In terms of tobacco flavor, I'd ideally be looking for something with probably a bit more tobacco taste than roda lacket. Is there any tobacco that's good for a leathery taste? I've been trying to find some via different websites but the description is somewhat lacking. Apologies if any of these are dumb questions. I'm new to snus and the finer aspects of tobacco as I mostly just smoked camels before going smokeless.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Maybe one sucker. The problem is the cook really changes the flavor so you're not looking for a leathery tobacco you're looking for a post cook leathery tobacco. I think you'd be better off looking for additives than a specific strain of tobacco to get your desired taste.

I've cooked all kinds of tobacco into snus and can't really tell the difference in flavor. I get more textural than flavor differences honestly. My advice would be to try a burley, try a dark air, maybe mix them too, then focus on flavorings.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Just as other guys told it have artificial flavors (just like all the other "Swedish snus", if you have problem to find a specific flavor I can help you on that. I don't like (and have never liked just this oral snuff) so I have not any idea of how much of each flavor you need.. When I read about "roda lacket" I most say that I would have trying a mix between Burley and dark tobacco very fine Grounded..

squeezyjohn

Röda Lacket has a very light sweet taste from the tobacco with berry flavours - Göteborgs Prima Fint is pretty much the same as RL without the flavourings and I have been able to get a similar flavour from using air-cured bright leaf tobacco. I would advise against using Burley or Dark Air Cured in the mix as it will make a much darker, chocolate flavoured snus than you're looking for.

That leathery taste is something I haven't been able to pin down yet ... it seems to develop a long time after the cook if it is going to develop at all! It tends to come from the stronger flavoured leaves.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Röda Lacket has a very light sweet taste from the tobacco with berry flavours - Göteborgs Prima Fint is pretty much the same as RL without the flavourings and I have been able to get a similar flavour from using air-cured bright leaf tobacco. I would advise against using Burley or Dark Air Cured in the mix as it will make a much darker, chocolate flavoured snus than you're looking for.That leathery taste is something I haven't been able to pin down yet ... it seems to develop a long time after the cook if it is going to develop at all! It tends to come from the stronger flavoured leaves.
squeezyjohn I most say that Roda Lacket shall be one of the Swedish snus that are made of Dark air cured tobacco, I did a "google translate" from one of the page's how sell rods packet:"Dark tobacco character with elements of leather and dried fruit, and some dried herbs and smoke. Red Lacket Loose Snus is easy to bake into a prick underneath the lip. Gives a quick and strong taste release."http://www.snus2.se/roda-lacket-lossnus.html

squeezyjohn

Hi Hasse,

It doesn't really matter what the blurb on the sites advertising the commercial snus says, you have to experiment with different leaf types to the end of the snus making process in order to know how the different varieties develop. Swedish Match will not tell us what varieties are in their blends - and all snus is dark, when I said light, I meant smooth and not bitter. I have made snus from many different types of Dark Air Cured tobacco and I can tell you that none of them taste very much like Röda Lacket, however a snus made from air cured bright leaf, or even from flue cured virginia has a much closer flavour profile. The quick taste release and easy to bake nature comes from the fact that Röda Lacket is made from very finely ground tobacco.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Hi Hasse,It doesn't really matter what the blurb on the sites advertising the commercial snus says, you have to experiment with different leaf types to the end of the snus making process in order to know how the different varieties develop. Swedish Match will not tell us what varieties are in their blends - and all snus is dark, when I said light, I meant smooth and not bitter. I have made snus from many different types of Dark Air Cured tobacco and I can tell you that none of them taste very much like Röda Lacket, however a snus made from air cured bright leaf, or even from flue cured virginia has a much closer flavour profile. The quick taste release and easy to bake nature comes from the fact that Röda Lacket is made from very finely ground tobacco.
It's really funny to see how different experiences we have, I have also done snus from alot of different tobacco variants, not like to add to match taste (like to keep the taste from the tobacco). And my experiences is that "Brightleaf" variants gets the taste of Horse shit (I mean that it taste like the shit smells), not as bad as it sounds, Burley variants tends to have more or less the taste of nuts and dark air variants have a more robust taste.In industrial Snus pretty much of that is pretty much destroyed. No Swedish match don't tell what variants they have but they do tell if the specific variant have dark or bright tobacco mixes, if I don't miss mind Goteborg's Rap'e for example have bright tobacco mixes (but if you open a box it's looking dark even to me).. But I have always feel that Grovsnus taste like a typical bright mix of tobacco even if they tell that it is a dark tobacco mixes.. So trust me even if we don't have the same experiences I think we can understand each other..

greenmonster714

I've been reading this thread with a bit of interest because I like snus and use it daily. I never knew there were so many different flavors and brands. I plan on trying to make my own this winter with my own leaf.
Kinda embarrassed to mention this but I always thought snuff was snus. Did a search on both the other day and found out I've been calling snus snuff for years. Now I think I've got a firm understanding of each term..lol.

I've read through a lot of threads here about making it and look forward to giving it a go. Not sure what flavors I'd like other than Wintergreen. I've tried the straight flavor and though it's okay. It's not something I'd want to do daily.

squeezyjohn

Hi greenmonster,

Don't worry about the semantics of it ... the word snus is just the Swedish word for snuff ... and the word snuff means a different thing in the US to the UK! Your use of the word snuff is absolutely fine given where you are based. But its original meaning was the stuff to put up your nose (from the word sniff) in the UK ... in both Sweden and America people changed to using it in their mouths in a moistened form but it's basically just ground tobacco.

Hasse - I know what you mean about the bright leaf "horse" effect! I think we do understand eachother ... but the main problem is that tobacco can be so variable ... more so if it's home grown ... and one years harvest can be so very different to another years one.

Cheers

Squeezy

jaysalti

If someone nails the Roda lös flavor, I'd be much appreciative. I'm not a huge fan of the portions, as I find the sweeter/berry flavor more prominent, but the lös has a wonder deep tobacco flavor to it. I need to pull out my leaves!

Status
Not open for further replies.