Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Tobacco Grower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha

Hello,

I am a first time tobacco grower, but I have grown various other plants throughout my life, including herbs/spices, small fruits, flowers, grass and Marijuana.

I am going to be growing my Tobacco alongside Marijuana plants, and pepper plants (Trinidad Scorpion and Ghost Peppers), and wild dagga, and various other plants, but I have never grown or cured tobacco before, so I thought I would join this forum in order to get some pointers.

I assume that if I can grow other plants then Tobacco shouldn't really be a challenge. I always tell people "Plants grow without people".

Ok, so, strains I have growing now:

Hopi Tobacco
Red African
White Mammoth

Those are all already seedlings. And I have about 50 strains as seeds, so I am deciding which ones to start next. I might start a thread about that and get help picking. So, that's what going on. I will post pictures soon.

Sasha

Also, I will be growing indoors since it will be grown alongside Marijuana. I am in Colorado, so I can only grow outside for a short time. Here is what it says online about the strains I have going.

Hopi Tobacco

The high concentration of nicotine in its leaves makes it useful for creating organic pesticides. Used extensively in rituals and religious ceremonies but also used for cramps, sharp pains and headaches. Poultice of beaten plant used for boils and applied to insect bites.
Tender annual that grows 18-24 in. and produces clusters of pendulous greenish-white flowers that open in early evening and emit a rich, jasmine-like aroma. More cold-hardy than other tobaccos. Grows slowly at first until estabilished, then takes off.
To cure tobacco, pick the leaves when they have a tinge of yellow on them and hang them where the leaves will dry out during the day and pick up moisture at night. This is how they cure. When the leaves are completely golden brown and have no more green they are ready to roll. This can take a month or sometimes two. It is best to roll the leaves when there is some humidity present so the leaves are flexible. Lay the leaves out, one at a time, alternating stem to tip for 7 leaves thick. Roll the leaves together tightly, like a big cigar. If desired, twist each end in opposite directions to make the traditional "plug" of tobacco. Shave off a little at a time from the end for each use.

Red African

African Red is a bright leaf variety with light green colored leaves and white stemmed. A vigorous grower reaching 8 feet (200cm) in height at the first crows foot.
Plant form is columnar. Average size of 10th leaf at maturity 28 inches (60cm).
Leaf width 12" (25cm) 28 leaves total on un-topped plants, not including bed leaves. Matures in 80 days.
Has a high nicotine content, averaging 29.8 mg/g of dried leaf.
Original seed donated to the USDA from Transvaal, South Africa in 1975.

White Mammoth

White Mammoth is a bright leaf tobacco that grows quick and matures very early at only 50-55 days. It grows 4/12 feet with leaves 2' long and 1' wide.
Suckering is low and the leaves cure easily. A good choice for short growing seasons.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Welcome, I'd love to see a grow log of tobacco grown indoors I hope you want to start one:)

Like you say it grows itself. The main consideration is post grow processing as it doesn't taste good until it's been aged. It looks like you have 2 flue cured varieties, as the plants grow read up into the flue curing process and build a device capable of it.

Will it be hydro? I'd be very curious to see growth rates, I almost did an outdoor hydro this year but didn't have the time.

Please start a log!

Sasha

Welcome, I'd love to see a grow log of tobacco grown indoors I hope you want to start one:)

Like you say it grows itself. The main consideration is post grow processing as it doesn't taste good until it's been aged. It looks like you have 2 flue cured varieties, as the plants grow read up into the flue curing process and build a device capable of it.

Will it be hydro? I'd be very curious to see growth rates, I almost did an outdoor hydro this year but didn't have the time.

Please start a log!

I actually did just start one. And thank you, I will check out flue curing
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...e-Mammoth-Grow?p=136902&viewfull=1#post136902

Sasha

So, what exactly is "Fair Trade Tobacco". I assume that based on the mission statement that it is kind of libertarian in nature, but I am not sure I understand the whole concept. Why "Trade", is this more than a growing website?

BarG

Founding Member
Welcome Sasha, yes we do trade tobacco here.There are also commercial growers here where you can buy wholeleaf, seeds. and seedlings as well as Don's Wholeleaf tobacco site advertised in header.

Sasha

Welcome Sasha, yes we do trade tobacco here.There are also commercial growers here where you can buy wholeleaf, seeds. and seedlings as well as Don's Wholeleaf tobacco site advertised in header.

Oh, ok, cool. So does that mean that after I grow my tobacco I could sell the leaves here (just wondering, I don't plan on it)? Or what exactly are the stipulations? What do you mean by "Commercial Growers"?

And there are no laws for seeds or plants right, just leaves which are "tobacco products", right?

BarG

Founding Member
BigBonner grows for big tobacco companys and also sells whole leaf and seedlings , and another fella sells seeds, but we have access to grinns seedbank now I believe, you would have to check with deluxestogie for info on that. and yes you can sell your tobacco here as long as the stem is intact, no processed tobacco can be sold.

Sasha

BigBonner grows for big tobacco companys and also sells whole leaf and seedlings , and another fella sells seeds, but we have access to grinns seedbank now I believe, you would have to check with deluxestogie for info on that. and yes you can sell your tobacco here as long as the stem is intact, no processed tobacco can be sold.

Do you mean like he grows for Marlboro or something? And this is an assumption I have had, but Marlboro is like American Tobacco and Camel is Oriental, right? Camel has like Turkish Gold's and all that, so when I was getting seeds I noticed that that seemed to be how they would advertise those brands. Marlboro is very American branded, and Camel is very Middle Eastern/Oriental branded is seems to me. And are you saying that it's just like him and the other guy selling on a large scale, or are they just like some of the main 2?

Is that the law too? Stem in tact means it is not processed, and processed means it is a tobacco product? I'm just trying to make sure, I have never grown tobacco before.

BarG

Founding Member
BigBonner grows large acerage of tobacco and sells to buyers. and a whole leaf is defined as the whole leaf, specifically the stem still attached. Processed would or could mean as little as removing the stem, shredded or put thru process such as dip, or snuff,cigars, etc.... To be safe if you do sell just keep as you would after you dry or cure your leaves,[ with stem intact] lol.

I just bought some 5 yr. old burley From him, It is great, I am smoking it with out kilning. I would have bought some flue cured red virginia from http://wholeleaftobacco.com/
but he is sold out, bummer. Those are my 2 favorites to buy. I still have 20 pounds of aged homegrown oriental to mix with them if I want. { bursa and ottaman].

Last edited:

Sasha

BigBonner grows large acerage of tobacco and sells to buyers. and a whole leaf is defined as the whole leaf, specifically the stem still attached. Processed would or could mean as little as removing the stem, shredded or put thru process such as dip, or snuff,cigars, etc.... To be safe if you do sell just keep as you would after you dry or cure your leaves,[ with stem intact] lol.

So he is like Commercial himself, and sells to anyone who wants to buy it and roll it into cigarettes to sell it?

Ok, good to know. Thank you. I was wondering about it, and couldn't find anything definitive, even on the ATF website.

Random question, if I am growing the tobacco alongside other plants, would it be frowned upon to show other plants here? Because I am growing some pretty cool plants, and Marijuana, which is another question, would it be against the rules to have a Marijuana plant in a picture with tobacco here? Or in a picture without tobacco? Just wondering. I'm not going to start like a Marijuana thread, but it is going to be in the same room as the tobacco, and so will ghost pepper and Trinidad scorpions and Wild Dagga and a bunch of other plants, I've got like Silene Capensis and everything. And like 500 different species of plant seeds. And for Marijuana, Tobacco and Mint Family plants and maybe a few other families, I have various species or strains of each. I have like 3 datura, and then brugsmansia, and like 10 types of tomatoes, etc.

BarG

Founding Member
Contact deluxestogie or Smokesahoy or jitterbugdude as far as pics of pot. Any other plant is welcome, you can start a grow log and post any plant or garden you have going. Just not sure about pot.

Sasha

Contact deluxestogie or Smokesahoy or jitterbugdude as far as pics of pot. Any other plant is welcome, you can start a grow log and post any plant or garden you have going. Just not sure about pot.

Ok, thanks. I will ask them.

Sasha

Did you get kicked off the other weed sites?

Lol, no. I am just growing other plants and would rather post about it here. I'm on a Pepper plant and Homebrewing site also.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Is as much as Cannabis is not legal in many states, and not legal under federal law, I would appreciate your not posting photos of it on this forum. We have plenty of legal issues to deal with.

Thanks,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.