Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sasha's Hopi, Red African and White Mammoth Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha

It's a plant which grows wild in the south east. It has a distinct and pleasant flavor which has been traditionally used in pipe tobacco. Something like vanilla or coumarin. I found it to grow bloody slowly, and I gradually-mysteriously- lost plant after plant until they were all gone.
From a previous thread:

Ok, I'll see if I can get seeds. There is also something in Australia that the Aboriginals use.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
It's a plant which grows wild in the south east. It has a distinct and pleasant flavor which has been traditionally used in pipe tobacco. Something like vanilla or coumarin. I found it to grow bloody slowly, and I gradually-mysteriously- lost plant after plant until they were all gone.From a previous thread:
Interesting do you know any seed sellers of this flower?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Carphephorus odoratissimus, also called Deer Tongue Plant (not Deer Tongue Grass), is available on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Carphephorus-odoratissimus-Certified-Seed-Native/dp/B00BJ93ODQ

The strange thing about this Amazon listing is that it is from a company called Roundstone Native Seed. This is the same company from which I purchased the seed a few years ago. But...their own website (http://www.roundstoneseed.com) does not currently list it as available. So, they may be in the process of discontinuing it. Get it while you can.

My seed germinated well, but the plants never thrived outdoors (and did not survive the winter) here in southwest Virginia. It is native to coastal areas of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Bob

Sasha

Sasha

Ok, so I read this line:
It has long been known that the active constituent in Australia's various Nicotiana species is nicotine.

Which implies that there are species of plants that are like Tobacco, but are not Tobacco, and even implies that they are of the Nicotiana Genus, which means Hybrids could be created with these plants and tobacco the same way Indica and/or Sativa is mixed with Rudaralis to create a plant that has THC and can flower without a Winter cycle. Or how Indica and Sativa can just be mixed to create Hybrid buds. Or like how Horses and Donkeys make Mules, etc. I am going to look into this and see what Australian species their are.

I was already thinking of Mixing species of Tobacco, that's why I have the Woodland Tobacco and the Flowering Tobacco/Jasmine Tobacco (the other 2 species I have listed in my seed list)

A report from Western Australia described the smoke from burning pituri leaves being used as an anaesthetic during surgical operations.
Ratsch et al. 2010.
Herbert DA: The poison plants of Western Australia. Bulletin No. 96. Perth: Government Printer; 1926. Revised edition.

...your remarks as to the toxicological properties of petcherie must I confess astonish me. Sixteen years ago, when with Burke and Wills expedition, subsequently with Mr McKinlay and recently in the north west expedition, I used petcherie habitually when procurable in default of tobacco and have often chewed it both in its raw and prepared state.
— William Hodgkinson quoted by Bancroft, 1877

Sasha

I am probably going to get some more Rustica also, like Mopan Mayan and everything. The Hopi and the Mopan Mayan will be good to mix with other strains. And maybe I will mix a commercial tobacco strain in the end. To make it more of a Pipe, or Rolling, or Cigar, or whatever kind of Tobacco.

ChinaVoodoo

I'm at a party, so I'll keep this short, but Nicotiana suaveolens is the group of tobaccos that grow in Australia natively. The ARS-GRIN has several different species that are in this group. It is technically tobacco-just not Nicotiana tabacum, or rustica which we normally know as tobacco. They are small plants by comparison.

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringl...s_view_accessionlist&params=:taxonomyid=25306

Every spring we have the opportunity to request seed from the GRIN. You'll know when the time comes. A thread will be started. Perhaps you would be interested in getting one of those types. I don't know if anyone who has grown it.

They are fairly low in nicotine. The chewing mixture with ash makes it alkaline and aids in the absorption, essentially making it stronger than if you chewed it straight.

Look how many different Nicotiana species there are:
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/taxon/taxonomysimple.aspx

Sasha

I'm at a party, so I'll keep this short, but Nicotiana suaveolens is the group of tobaccos that grow in Australia natively. The ARS-GRIN has several different species that are in this group. It is technically tobacco-just not Nicotiana tabacum, or rustica which we normally know as tobacco. They are small plants by comparison.

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringl...s_view_accessionlist&params=:taxonomyid=25306

Every spring we have the opportunity to request seed from the GRIN. You'll know when the time comes. A thread will be started. Perhaps you would be interested in getting one of those types. I don't know if anyone who has grown it.

They are fairly low in nicotine. The chewing mixture with ash makes it alkaline and aids in the absorption, essentially making it stronger than if you chewed it straight.

Look how many different Nicotiana species there are:
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/taxon/taxonomysimple.aspx

That's pretty cool. I will definitely keep an eye out for that and try to get some seeds. I want to see if I can create a Rustica X ? Hybrid, then breed that with a Commercial Pipe tobacco or Cigarette tobacco strain, and maybe breed it a second time with the Pipe or Cigarette tobacco strain, or the opposite strain. Like say I made Rustica X ? X Pipe Tobacco, I would then maybe go one step further and do Rustica X ? X Pipe X Cigarette. And see what comes out of that.

I'm surprised no one is doing this already.

Alpine

It's been done, DelGold for example is a cross between N. Tabacum X N. rustica. And almost all commercially grown tobacco is some sort of F1 hybrid. But it will be interesting to follow your experiments, keep us updated!

pier

ChinaVoodoo

It's been done, DelGold for example is a cross between N. Tabacum X N. rustica. And almost all commercially grown tobacco is some sort of F1 hybrid. But it will be interesting to follow your experiments, keep us updated!

pier

But Delgold was more complicated than that.

See post # 34 http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...bacco-Varieties/page3?highlight=Intentionally

Pedigree and Breeding Methods
Delgold was developed in an inter-specific hybridization study. A colchicine-derived tetraploid (4n) Nicotiana tabacum L. 'Virginia 115' was crossed in 1971 to a deploid(2n) female parent from N. rustica L. 'Ba-bor'. The resultant interspecific hybrid did not produce seed on selfing indicating sterility. However, repeated pollination of the highly sterile F, inter-specific hybrid with diploid (2n) Virginia 115 produced a few backcross-one (BC,) seed in 1972. These BC, progenies were grown in a breeding nursery in 1973 for their agronomic, morphological and chemical characterization. Most of the BC, progenies were off-types Can. J. Plant Sci. 64t 233-236 (Jan. 1984) 233 with a bushy habit of growth and high degree of sterility. An individual BC' selectant, with high leaf total alkaloids, was backcrossed to N. tobaco 'Hicks Broad-leaf' as a diploid female parent in the greenhouse. A selected high leaf total alkaloid genotype from the second backcross (BCr) generation was further back ordered as the female parent with a diploid Virginia 115. Normal floral fertility and flue-cured tobacco phenotype were restored among the segregants of the BC, generation. Subsequent to the BC. generation, individual plant selection and selfing were carried out, and by 1976 a fully fertile diploid strain 76N2 was evaluated in an early generation testing program. A set of seven well-differentiated sister-lines, based on leaf dimension and shape, plant type and color, was established from the 76N2 bulk population. Performance evaluations conducted under the designation 76N2-E identified the strain to be superior to its other sister-lines and the check cultivar Virginia115. Certified seed production began in 1980.

Sasha

I am moving in the next few days, so I will start planting all the different plant seeds I have, and start taking more pictures and everything, and I am getting a 1000W LED on top of the CFLs and HPS that I have right now. So I will have a lot of light for all these plants.

Sasha

Sasha

pier

I didn't think it hadn't been done. I just want to try it with the Australian species because I didn't even know they exist, so I have definitely never heard of a Hybrid. Someone in Australia must be doing this already, but idk.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Hybrid plants between N. suaveolens and N. tabacum plants exhibit lethality under standard culture conditions and die at the cotyledonary stage."

Yikes! And they counted 40 chromosomes. N. tabacum has 48, but it is a polyploid species (doubled-up the chromosome number from the two parent species), so there's some room for deletions.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
You're killing me, let's see some pics of the normal grow!

If you are looking for more nicotine in a pipe there are bright leaf types that will deliver, even with Del gold it is debatable if all that work they did was worth a crap from an alkaloid perspective which I think is why they did it. It's great for science they did it, but as a small time grower the documents should read as a precautionary tale not an ehow tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.