Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tips for harvesting (posts nominated for special consideration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...im curious for my plants, if i can pull the top leaves and cure them separately from the rest of the stalk?
In a gradient from bottom of the stalk to top of the stalk, the leaves become darker, heavier and more flavorful. Along with that, the nicotine content increases from the bottom of the plant to the top.

I tag and save my primed leaf into four groupings:
  • mud lugs (sometimes called "flyers and trash" or volado); light, usually damaged, useful for filler; when these occasionally fall off the plant and cure against the damp soil of the ground, they can be immediately smoked
  • lugs (sometimes called simply lower leaf or seco); often the largest leaves; still fairly light and mild; can be useful for bright wrappers and filler; for cigars, this is the major component of all but the most ferocious of cigars
  • leaf (sometimes called red leaf or ligero); deeper in color, fuller in flavor and nicotine; useful for EMS to light maduro wrappers and heavier filler (lower "leaf" may be categorized as viso)
  • tips; if allowed to mature, will age into very dark or black maduro to oscuro; often remarkably potent; sometimes sweet.

Bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.