Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tried casing yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftynick

When I smoked my homegrown tobacco, I still can taste a little "green" tobacco even after kilning and aging. I kiln mine for 3 weeks and shred it and age it for 2 more weeks. It tasted very good but the "green" tobacco taste is definitely bugging me. I know longer aging will correct this but as eager as I am to smoke my own homegrown, I decided to toast my tobacco. While I am at it, I think, what the heck, I'll try my hand with casing too.

So I make up a small batch of 50 grams of tobacco 60% air cured virginia, 30% burley and 10% Turkish tobacco (after 6 weeks in kiln this time). I prepare 50ml of casing consist of a teaspoon of honey and 2 drop of vanilla flavoring. First I mist the whole leaf heavily until it is soggy, around 30ml of the casing. Then I toasted it on my stove top oven over low heat until it is crispy dry. During this time I can smell all the green musty smell that I want to get rid off emitting from the oven. After that I take it out and I mist it again around 20ml of the casing, waited for 30 minutes for the tobacco to soak all of the casing and I stemmed the tobacco and shredded it. The tobacco is put back into the oven to dry, again until crispy. This time it smelled like baked good that my wife thought I am baking bread in the middle of the night. I take it out of the oven, spread it and lightly mist the tobacco with the remaining casing (I don't use all, just very lightly) and leave it for the night. This morning when I wake up the tobacco is in the nice low case and smelled like honey bun, so I decided to try it before putting it in the jar and let it to rest. It has a very smooth taste, nice throat hit with the honey and vanilla just complimenting the tobacco taste. I get a full flavor, easier burning tobacco (my homegrown does not burn well in cigs tubes) and I can definitely taste the nicotine this time (I suspect because of easier burning, it gives me more volume of smoke). However some subtle nuances and flavor of the tobacco are lost in the process which I think, is because of I used too many casing. I just read the entire thread on casing tobacco and I think I supposed to use only a little amount of casing.

If I want to repeat the process again, I think I will just use plain water before toasting, and add the casing lightly before jarring it. I tried to replicate commercial cigs manufacturing which they toast the tobacco first, shred it and cased it but my method give too much toasted smell. Hopefully a week aging will improve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.