Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello, Just starting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedbs999

Hi, Iam Dan. I've been a member since last October, 2016. I've made a couple posts back in the spring when i was getting ready to buy seed.

I figured it was about time to post a little more about myself. I live in Wheeling WV. Iam 66 years old going on 67 in December. I spent 41 years as a nurse. The first 5 years of employment as a floor nurse. Then the last 36.5 years as a CRNA( Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist). Last August I retired. I've always grown some veggies mostly green beans, corn , tomatoes and potatoes.

I enjoy a nice cigar once in awhile. We have very limited places to purchase cigars here in Wheeling. One day i decided to check out a cigar store up on Route 19 towards Pittsburgh. They had a nice selection. Pretty expensive, so I decided when coming home from the store i would grow and roll my own cigars.

I've been hanging out here since last October. Just not much of a talker, but today i decided to break the ice.

Iam growing Little Dutch, Penna Red, Havana 2000 and Corillo 98.

I have tried to post a couple pics of my garden and plants, but for some reason they keep coming on upside down. So I gave up. if some one else has this problem and has figured out how to fix it, let me know

Dan

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Marsh Wheeling cigars used to come from the factory in downtown Wheeling. Marsh production moved to Indiana, then vanished from the face of the earth. As a curious coincidence, the Marsh Deluxe Stogie was made using Little Dutch and PA Red, and came with a light CT or dark PA wrapper. They were just floor sweepings, but I loved them.

For the photos, go here: http://www.xnview.com/en/ and download the free XnView photo editing software. The upsidedownness of a photo is in the metadata embedded in the file. If you merely open the image in XnView, rotate as required, then save again, it will fix the metadata. Then you can upload the photos.

I look forward to your photos. How many plants are you growing this summer?

Bob

Thedbs999

I have 10 corillo 98, 10 Havana 2000, 10 little Dutch, 3 Pa Red left after being destroyed by rabbits or possibly a deer. Total 33.

Yes, the old Marsh Wheeling Plant still stands . It is for sale. I remember when all the stores, and bars sold the Pioneers, Virginians, and Miflins Choice in a glass tube.

Today we still have the Block Brothers plant in operation making Mail Pouch Chew along with others. I believe it is now run by Swisher International.

When I find time tomorrow I will look into the photo fix. I really don't get it because the pics are fine as stored on the computer.

Dan

Charly

Welcome Dan, you have selected some nice strains to make cigars :)
I wish you good luck with your first grow.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Dan you have made one of the best presentations I have seen.. So I most say that you ain't so bad "speaker" after all..I hope you fix that photo problem because your grow seems really interesting!It sounds amazing 67 year means that you have good experience (and perhaps can send your life at thing you really want to do). I wish you a good season and hope you going to make really good cigars that you can smoke and just relax!

Thedbs999

Here are my 5 raised beds where I grow my plants. 3 raised beds for tobacco this year and 2 for the best sweet corn called incredible.
The first picture is from June 19th. The second is from June 26, Llittle Dutch in the containers from June 26th. The last picture is the Little Dutch from earlier June 19. I will get some new pictures tomorrow. Plus i will start to post on a grow log.
Thank you for your nice welcome.
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg

fullsizeoutput_a28.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a2c.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.