Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Some unknown oriental seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakamo0o

Hello everyone,

Last year I got some tobacco seeds from Lebanon, after planting them and a long internet search; I found that they look like Turkish Izmir (I think!!)
In Lebanon they sun-cure the leaves for two months and smoke them in cigarettes and hookahs.
I am willing to contribute to the forum's seed bank so if anybody could better identify the plants or at least assure me that they are what I think they are.
Some details:
plant hight: 7 feet
leaf length: 1 foot
leaf max. width: ~0.5 foot
Here are some pictures:

http://cid-73498062ca8a4065.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/FTT

Hakamo0o

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This is a perfect example of how pictures are worth 1000 words. Of the over 1800 varieties of tobacco, 90% of them have pink flowers. Of the over 1800, a little more than 160 are Orientals. Of those 160+, only two have white flowers. Of those two, only one tested to have white flowers in three university studies. The other tested two out of three times to have white flowers (one study indicated a pink flower)

With all of that said, the single Oriental variety that tested 3 out of 3 times to have a white flower is un-named...here is a link http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1305493

Even though this is the only information on this particular variety, this is still not evidence enough to definitively say this is the variety you possess. Your pictures suggest the the variety is an Oriental, but the name still is unknown.

The best way to evaluate the quality is to taste the leaf. If it's of good quality, its name almost becomes irrelevant.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In the original, single photo, the one leaf profile I was able to make out appeared to have a clean stem. In the additional photos, I can clearly see "wings" on the leaf stems, which makes this a Kabakolak variety. Although some sources describe Izmir as a Basibali (clean stem) and others as Sirdili (no stem beyond the leaf lamina), the wings on the stem clearly define it as Kabakolak. Interestingly, a 1969 tobacco company document (I believe it was British American Tobacco) describes Izmir as an aromatic, Kabakolak leaf. I was unaware of any Orientals with white flowers, so this is a variety I'd love to acquire.

Bob

EDIT: The "sessile" description of leaf attachment in the GRIN data that FmGrowIt cited denotes a leaf issuing directly from the stalk, that is to say, Kabakolak.

Last edited:

Hakamo0o

well...that was informativ
1) they have very aromatic smoke
2) It migh not be visible; but the flowers have a pink ring on the tip, I'll try to capture it again.

istanbulin

Founding Member
This thread is aging but I want to say something. It seems petiolate with wide wings (auricle). It's look like Canik very much but I couldn't be sure. When an oriental strain treated wrong, it's morphology changes dramatically. These one foot long leaves shows that they were not growed properly. Some Turkish strains have big leaves but they're mostly semi-orientals.

istanbulin

Founding Member
istanbulin,

Do you have any information about how much Nitrogen Turkish/Orientals normally get?

Steve

Nitrogen uptake of a Turkish tobacco is related with planting density and water per unit (weather conditions). For example a proper planted Bafra strain generally gets app. 20 lbs of nitrogen from per acre of the field.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I grew this strain this year and I have not smoked the kilned leaf yet but the field lugs tasted pretty similar to BSS Maden although the plant was noticeably bigger.

leverhead

Nitrogen uptake of a Turkish tobacco is related with planting density and water per unit (weather conditions). For example a proper planted Bafra strain generally gets app. 20 lbs of nitrogen from per acre of the field.

Thank you! That is a little higher than I would have guessed, but I didn't think about planting density.

leverhead

This could be a new thread. I haven't found much detail about soils that Turkish tobacco is grown in. Is there much published information about it? It's been pretty well studied here in the US.

Steve

istanbulin

Founding Member
As you know, I think, Turkish tobaccos are very dependent to climate (rain, humidity, etc). Precipitation varies year after year so these studies here are only observation because they do not show consistency. Also tobacco quality is affected with the climate changes.

NRustica

Someone talked about having "wings." I wonder if that is what is meant by the nomenclature var. alipes. The name of the variety I've seen this nomenclature is
Purzicsany from Hungary, but I have no idea what it looks like yet.

<colgroup><col width="157"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Status
Not open for further replies.