Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Photo of my tobacco - OldDinosaur

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldDinosaurWesH

24 degrees last night. What's left of my sucker leaf is done for. I checked one leaf at dawn just out of curiosity, said leaf was pretty stiff. I have no complaints. It's been a good and long growing season.

Maybe it will dry out some soon, so I can resume digging up and discarding stumps. Can't have any extra space left in that garbage can!

Wes H.

OldDinosaurWesH

Well, better check that sentiment. Photos attached.

Tobacco Seedlings 11-07-17 235.jpg Tobacco Seedlings 11-07-17 236.jpgTobacco Seedlings 11-07-17 237.jpgTobacco Seedlings 11-07-17 238.jpgTobacco Seedlings 11-07-17 239.jpg

Photo one, top to bottom, 2 leaves African red. One leaf Costello Negro

Photo two, some splotchy frost damage mostly toward the attachment point (abscission layer?) of African Red

Photos three and four
, again most of the frost damage is near the attachment point and uppermost point of the stem. African Red.

Photo five, limited frost damage on tip of leaf Costello Negro

I'm a little amazed. At 24 degrees (-4.45 C), I thought these leaves would all be black, or at least on their way to being black. This tobacco is pretty tough stuff.

Wes H.

OldDinosaurWesH

Holy Cow!

It's 70 degrees out there (21.1 C)!

This is what we call the Pineapple Express. Warm moist air blowing in from Hawaii. No rain since Friday.

I guess I'd better take off the heavy insulated shirt and go work in the garden this afternoon.

Wes H.

OldDinosaurWesH

My interim report on my 2017 Tobacco Crop.

Bob: You asked about yields some time back. My early estimates on yields indicate anywhere between 3.5 and 6.5 oz. per plant. That is kilned but not stemmed. Also not counting any Turkish leaf. Some of my yields will probably go up as I kiln the upper leaves. The few upper leaves I have kilned are giving off some fairly good yields. Those upper leaves are a lot thicker than the lower leaves.

So far Burley 9 is the best for overall yields. Burley 9 was a big tall (8 feet) plant with large "Horse-Blanket" leaves.

I have 30 day kilned some of my puny Connecticut Shade leaf. I've let it rest for about 3 weeks. I shredded some of the smaller (unsuitable for wrapper) leaf and burned it all by itself in an oversize cigarette paper. I'm declaring my Connecticut shade to be a success. In spite of the small leaf and poor yields. The C.S. tobacco that I burned was fairly mild and had a good "cigar" flavor. I gave one to my co-worker, and he had a similar comment. He said that it wasn't too strong but also wasn't too mild with a good "cigar" flavor. I have been too busy lately to actually make any cigars. I'm looking forward to trying some of my Bolivia wrapped with C.S.

I am currently working on a plan to add some insulation to my "Kiln." My electric bill has been excessive from running my contraption 24/7. Again thank you to Bob, who has given me some good ideas. I'm now just working on small details for a final small construction project. That should reduce my electric bill substantially.

Everyone out there have a good holiday season. And you folks in the southern hemisphere don't get overheated in that summer sunshine. Around here, we haven't seen above freezing weather for almost two weeks. And Winter hasn't really gotten started yet. Good thing I bought a new winter coat.

Wes H.

Gmac

My interim report on my 2017 Tobacco Crop.
Everyone out there have a good holiday season. And you folks in the southern hemisphere don't get overheated in that summer sunshine. Around here, we haven't seen above freezing weather for almost two weeks. And Winter hasn't really gotten started yet. Good thing I bought a new winter coat.

Wes H.
We had 6 inches of snow with 24 degrees f Friday night. Might have to get me a new winter coat! Gmac

OldDinosaurWesH

Yes, it's been in the news that the southern U.S. has been getting a dose of winter weather...and it's not even officially winter yet. My new winter coat should be a good one that will last several years. It is rated to -40 and has a Gore-Tex shell. There is a whole 'nother coat inside it that you can zip-out and wear separately. This time of year when it hasn't gotten really cold yet (20 degrees), I wear a T-shirt underneath it so I don't overheat.

I never really thought about it but those alligators probably don't like the cold too much. Those critters might have to lay low for a while. I used to know a lady that spent several years living in Florida and she said that Alligator tail is pretty tasty. Ever tried it?

Good luck down there and don't freeze.

Wes H.

riverstone

Wes
32c here at present [85f] and no rain for weeks. The baccy plants are loving it. After last years rain this is a very pleasant change. I might even get some leaf that is not thin enough to see through.

OldDinosaurWesH

Good news. Mother nature can be unpleasant.

How many plants are you growing this year?

I wish you well in your growing endeavours and have a happy holiday season.

Wes H.

riverstone

I am growing approx 100 Virginia Gold for leaf. I am also growing 6 Black Sea Sumsun that I just got seed for this year. I will grow that right out for seed.
I grew YTB and Catterton last year and am well stocked up on that,[don't use a lot]. Busy times ahead.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.