Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Re: Photo of my tobacco - OldDinosaur

Wow, that is a serious piece of equipment!

Could you slap some insulation on it to make it a bit more efficient?

I have considered insulation, but discounted that idea. This is an engineered device and I'm worried that adding insulation could damage or destroy it. I think the newer machines probably are more energy efficient. But an equivalent machine new costs in excess of $3,000. It does use a fair amount of electricity, $10-15 per month additional, but I only use it for two or three months per year, and it sure improves my tobacco!

Wes H.

This is a small one for use in commercial kitchens and small bakeries. The big commercial bakeries have walk-in proofers.

If you buy a piece of wire closet shelving (can be rubber coated) the width of a bread pan, you can slide it in half-way up the cabinet, and hang two tiers of your long leaf.

Bob

Bob:

I've been doing something similar to what you suggest with concrete wire and one of my existing pans. I hang two tiers and can put quite a lot of leaf in there and still maintain circulation. It looks like a high wire act's nightmare when I'm done, but it works! Also when I am done kilning a particular batch, I can just get the wire cutters out. Concrete wire is cheap and readily available.

I'll look into the wire closet shelving and see what's available. Living in small town America has its drawbacks. A lot of stuff is not available at our limited local retail sector, and I end up traveling 30 miles to the next biggest town where they have big box stores. If you can't get it at the local lumber yard or general retail store, you're out of luck here locally. Where to look for such an item?

Wes H.

P.S. I have lots of surplus big aluminum pans for this machine if that gives you any ideas. I'm open to suggestions. As I've said before, "two brains working together are always better than two brains working separately." Or something like that. Also, these are commercial sized bread pans. Your cookie sheet at home is probably a 1/4 sheet. These pans would not fit in a home oven, they are way too big for that. ie: if you go to the bakery and order a full sheet cake for someone's birthday, you'd better have lots of hungry people!
    Last edited by OldDinosaurWesH; 09-13-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Additional info

Here's a wire shelf that can be shipped from Lowe's. It's 6' long x 12" deep. ~$7 plus shipping.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-...-Shelf/3098543

The heavy, support wires cut easily with a hacksaw. [The Questions section of the listing says they will even cut it for you prior to shipping.] You can cut 2 or 3 of them to a length that matches (or is slightly longer than) the width of the bakery tray. The lower bar has to be cut shorter, to fit inside the inner width between wall corrugations.

You could slide two of these cut shelves into one tray slot, to occupy the entire depth of the cabinet, and have a spare one for times when you also have short leaves.

I use these for hanging strings of leaf, as well as tied hands, in my kiln. Because there are dozens of possible hanging points, strings of any length can be fit. For strings wider than my kiln, I bend the wire of the string in half, form that bend into a hook, then hang the whole string in a "V" pattern.

So, if you are stringing the leaf with bendable wire, it can just go straight to the kiln like it is.

Bob

EDIT: I misspoke when I said rubber coated is okay. Mine are white epoxy coated, as is the one in the listing above.

Looks good! I'll check it out.

Wes H.

Bob:

In re: Rubbermaid shelving. I like your idea, and will pursue this. The nearest Lowes is 70 miles. Home Depot is only 30 miles. I looked on Home Depot's web site & didn't find this specific item. But that's not unusual with all the clutter out there when it comes to retailers, SKU's, and the internet. Should I take a chance on Home Depot?

Wes H.

P.S. Harvest is continuing apace. I am having to clean (Clean! isn't that another naughty four letter word?) and rearrange my basement to hang all this tobacco. Originally, I figured no problem, just scale up for the larger numbers based on the space I used last year. Wrong! These suckers are much bigger than last year's. It must be the fertilizer...I 'gotta blame it on something, right? I'll post some pictures when I get further along with my project. My clearcut stumpage is increasing rapidly. Stumpage is an official logging industry term by the way. In spite of the spell checker not liking it.

From what I've seen, the wire shelving comes in depths of 12" and 16". Two slices of the 12" will fit into one slot of your cabinet. You won't be able to do that using the 16", without a heap of hacksawing.

Bob

Bob:

That wasn't my question. Can I get it at Home Depot?

Wes H.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast