Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Beatles with egg's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
WP_20170802_10_17_53_Pro[1].jpg

This was I foundng today when I started to harvest my tobacco, can any one tell me what it is?
Normaly i found Eggs one the down side of the leaf's but this little Beatel have put them on the upside..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding is that flea beetles lay eggs in the soil or in plant debris on the soil surface. The eggs hatch there, where they pupate, and may attack seedling roots. Then only the adults feed on living plant leaf.

I would say the photo is some other beetle. Or...it could be beetles eating moth eggs or butterfly eggs.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Looks like stink bug eggs to me .
Yes I think you have right BigBonner, question is more what they put the egg on the leaf's upside and not the underside. Perhaps they just is smarter than me and know that I use to look at the underside..

Charly

I agree with BigBonner, they seem to be stink bug.
I have exactly the same on my tobacco ;)

And they put eggs on both sides of leaves, they don't care.

Here is a mother with her eggs (on my tobacco !!) :
crop2.jpg

I remove the eggs as I see them, but I seem to miss some, since I see the babies like in your picture...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Beatles:
Beatles.jpg

Beetles:
beetles.jpg

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Beatles:
Beatles.jpg
Beetles:
beetles.jpg
Bob
LOL, I Think I always have written Beatles, most have been something my English teachers have been missing. But thanks for letting me know! Really good to Laugh about the own mistakes, I most say that this was the funniest thing that have happened this day!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
And they look a little bit like my Beetles one the picture so I think I will call them that...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I was in high school (during Beatlemania), a classmate, standing on-stage in front of the entire school for a spelling bee, was disqualified for misspelling the word, "beetle." Most of the audience was surprised when the buzzer signaled an error.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
How long would tobacco have to stay in a microwave and kill eggs an beetle's .

I would suspect that eggs was carried from other countries and hatched out here in the USA . I have yet to see any beetles on any of the tobacco I grow and bale up for storage .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco beetles are pretty much worldwide in distribution, and feed on all sorts of dried leaf (like herb specimens in museums).
Encyclopedia of Life said:
Some were even found in dried resin from the tomb of Egyptian King Tutankhamun
http://eol.org/pages/312992/details
Since there was no tobacco in ancient Egypt, their original habitat likely involved non-tobacco plant matter.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
How long would tobacco have to stay in a microwave and kill eggs an beetle's . I would suspect that eggs was carried from other countries and hatched out here in the USA . I have yet to see any beetles on any of the tobacco I grow and bale up for storage .
That was a really interesting question, I will see if I can get a answer one that

OldDinosaurWesH

Microwaves for bugs on tobacco??? I'm not so sure that would be safe.

Microwaves are a form of electromagnetic energy that were first developed for the military in the form of Radar. Radar is an acronym for Radio Detection and Ranging. The first consumer microwave ovens were called "Radar ranges." (Brand name omitted) Microwaves have a side effect when they are used in non-radar applications. Radar waves add energy to anything that has oxygen as a component. The microwave energy induces a vibration on the oxygen bonds in any molecule containing same. As the molecules begin to vibrate, they heat up. Since food items have oxygen in the form of water, and organic (food) materials also contain oxygen as part of their structure, the individual molecules within whatever you put into the oven will heat up. Since radar waves are not a thermal form of heating (such as an oven, or a fire) strange things can happen to food items. Said heating would definitely kill off bugs and eggs from bugs, but what would it do to the tobacco? When you expose organic substances to microwave energy, at a certain point, individual molecules begin to degrade and break apart, creating whole new series of molecules. I'm not sure that it would be safe to use the tobacco after it had been microwaved.

Interestingly, you can heat a rock in a microwave, so long as that rock contains oxygen in it's molecular structure. A mineral like Flourite for example (Formula: CaF2), has no oxygen in it's molecular structure and will therefore not heat up in a microwave. Don't try this at home! Heating rocks in a microwave can cause explosive results!

OldDinosaurWes H. - Amateur tobacco grower and rock and mineral guy.

ChinaVoodoo

It does a very poor job of roasting coffee, but you can roast coffee in a microwave surprisingly quickly. I can't lie that I'm not a little curious what would happen to tobacco in a microwave, but I think, from what I've seen with coffee, is that it'll go from nothing to too much in a second.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
"Old Dino" that was helpful information, I was not thing of try it more interesting to know a theoretic time and temperature..

OldDinosaurWesH

Yes, you would have to consult with someone who knows their entomology better than I. As long as you aren't sticking any rocks in the microwave! (A feeble attempt at humor, I know.)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose that wet tobacco would kill tobacco beetles as soon as the water approaches boiling in a microwave. But microwave ovens do not generate a uniform exposure, but rather a small number of straight beams that are repeatedly reflected into the "oven" space by a rotating "propeller" mirror above the inner box. Even with a moving turntable, the points of heating are uneven, which is why cooking raw pork in a microwave is discouraged. (You may cook most of the meat, but miss a few trichinella cysts.)

As to the safety of microwaving tobacco, I know that a number of forum members have used a microwave to dry shredded tobacco between mistings with casings. At the very least, they lived long enough afterwards to post about it. Hmmm. Where are those folks?

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In response to my previous post, member who has been following the forum for over a year, but has not yet posted, sent me the following information on toasting burley in a microwave oven. This member requests to remain anonymous.

You asked if others had tob.and m/w experiences to share. I regularly roast/toast fully cured unkilned [< 3 months picked] shredded burley for cig'tte to remove throat bite, improve burning characteristics and "taste" quickly.
Equipment/Material: 1000watt m/w rotating table, non browning device/oven on normal full power cook cycle.
2 small m/w proof flat bottomed containers with loose-fit lids
approx.25-30 grammes/ 1 oz of 0.8 ml shredded tob. fluffed up "harsh young" burley [med. case]
Process: Evenly spread the tob.over bottom of container initially no more than 25 mm/1 in thick. 5 second bursts thrice flipping the tob. into other container in between bursts [trying to turn tob. over each time keeping it "fluffed"] Should be able to distinctly smell the roast/toasted smell.
From that point, further m/w'ing is to personal taste. I then use a 7-10 burst/s to finish off [Smell is a good indication with practice]. Remove into open. Allow to cool to room temp. and gently return to med. case. Can be smoked immediately, but as in all things tob., a couple of hours rest makes a difference. Small single layer leaf of most classes probably would work to similar specs. with care and practice.
Things to consider: Loss of volatile compounds. Disintegration of cells due to overheating etc. Creation of unwanted chemical compounds. All factors of using too long a burst.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.