Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Taste Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistillingJim

With so many tobaccos varietals available, it's sometimes hard to know exactly what to grow, what you would like or not like and what differences exist between varieties which are lumped together. This is my attempt at addressing this. This year has been my first grow but things are starting to ripen and I want to share my first impressions of various tobaccos to help future growers get an idea of what they may or may not want to grow in the future. This a purely a reflection of my own palate and the tobaccos are unkilned and unaged, smoked without any blending or refinement.

Little Dutch (AirCured) - I rolled a puro cigar of this and it reminds me of the miniatures you buy here in the UK (cafe cremes and hamlets), but with more complexity and depth. Mild but with a bit of pepper coming through towards the end. Not a lot, just enough to give some nuance and development through the smoke.

Izmir (FlueCured) - This was the first variety I smoked which I had grown myself and was delighted with the result. Light mouth feel with Balkan incense flavours. I’m looking forward to mixing this with Latakia and red virginia, truly wonderful.

Yenidje (FlueCured) - Similar to Izmir but with more body and mouth feel. I didnt have a full bowl of this but what I did have seemed to evolve with pepper notes coming through later on. I also thought I may have detected a bit of that latakia soapiness at points but it was feint and could be a bit of ghosting (the pipe used hadn’t had latakia in it for a long time but has had in the past).

Black Sea Samsun (FlueCured)- This is more of a sour oriental as opposed to incense. I think Presbyterian Mixture may use this (or something like it).

Katsuri (Air Cured) - Bit like crazy so I couldnt smoke much but definitely had promise. Rich in flavour, brought red virginias to mind. Might be worth mixing some with perique and seeing if that helps. Would possibly go well in an English blend to increase the nicotine level (which I’m told is quite high).

Status
Not open for further replies.