Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Arizona grown tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrancher

OK here's some pics of my 20'X20' garden, only one row of which is tobacco, and yes I know it is crowded and planted too close.

Garden 2017 Tilled.jpg
Picture of garden after tilling.

RCR tobacco.jpg
Picture of mainly tobacco.

Row of tobacco.jpg
Tobacco row from inside.
I topped several of the pants after this pic.

Vol by gate.jpg
Volunteer by the gate.

Couple of days ago noticed horn worm damage on tomatoes, then saw they was also eating tobacco, sprayed with Malathion, am I going to die if I smoke it?

Rancher

azrancher

Probably not. A safer alternative for next year is to spray with a BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) preparation.
Bob

@deluxestogie
Thanks Bob,
Tried doing a search on grasshoppers, nothing jumps out... so to speak! So I've read up on BT, on a thread here "BT How Much" so is it a soil prep also, or just a spray, and does it work on grasshoppers, and yes I know spray the weeds around the tobacco, pretty much too late this year, they got ahead of me.

Rancher

Alpine

Those darn grasshoppers are almost impossible to get rid of. Impervious to all safe insecticides! Black plastic mulching worked for me this year, I think 'hoppers are easier to catch for the little birds that live around my tobacco garden while jumping on a black background.

pier

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Nolo Bait is what you want. It took two years but I've almost completely eliminated my hopper problem. I still have a few but nothing like before.

OldDinosaurWesH

Bacillus thuringiensis (BT) is effective against members of the order lepidoptera, the moths and butterflies. The bacillus acts against the larval (caterpillar) stage. BT won't help you with grasshoppers (order orthoptera, the grasshoppers and crickets.)

Tobacco, tomatoes, peppers, chili peppers, potatoes, eggplants, and several other species are all members of the same family, the Solanacaeas aka: the nightshade family. Many of the same pests attack all of these.

Good luck!

Wes H.

Status
Not open for further replies.