Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help, Please with Polish Shredder Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orson Carte

Is it possible that some friendly American member can help me?
It has recently come to my attention that the brass (or maybe they're bronze or something) bearings on my RS100 (Polish) shredder need replacement. I've only just realised that the 'plus' version of this model has four ball-bearings whereas my (obviously cheaper and older model) runs with four brass bushes.
I think I've managed to locate an American company that sells these bushes at a reasonable price but the difficulty for me, living at the other end of the world is the excessive cost of freight for something that is very small and light and could easily be mailed in a simple envelope.
So, what I'm asking is; if there is any kind soul that could have my small consignment sent to them (in an envelope) and then mailed on to me. Naturally, I would send to you whatever the postage costs.
Thanks very much,
Ed

Last edited by a moderator:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I can buy these and reship them to you but I'm not sure what the cost savings would be. Shipped to my house would be $13.00. If I reship to NZ it would probably be $10.00. So, $23.00 U.S. They are probably just tall enough that I would not be able to send as a letter. The height limit in the U.S. for sending overseas as a letter is 1 inch.
What I would do if I were in your place would be to measure the I.D. and O.D. and height of the bushing then order some from Ebay China. You could probably get a set of 4 for less than 6.00 U.S.

Also, I do not think what you have is a Polish shredder. It is probably Chinese. The shredder that Whole Leaf sells has real bearings in it which would last considerably longer than bronze bushings.
A real Polish shredder is linked below. Quite pricey but it would be the last shredder you would ever buy because it is extremely robust. These are .8mm cut, if you want a 1.6mm (for ribbon style pipe tobacco) you would have to email the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROFESSIONA...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Good luck and PM me if you want me to go ahead and get the bushings.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Ed have you contact them about it? I am think they can send you that in a regular letter but don't take responsibility for it..

Orson Carte

Thanks for your replies guys.
I have emailed the retailer I was looking at online to ask if they could mail them in in an ordinary first-class envelope but have had no reply as yet. The bushes are only about 3/8" thick and wide, which is why I am thinking that there must be a cheaper way (than in a courier package) to ship such a small, cheap item.

I am hoping that they can be mailed directly to me by the supplier but trying to find a 'plan B' if they won't. Even if I have to pay a package price within the US, and then have them repackaged into an envelope to go overseas I'm thinking it will be far cheaper than if it is sent in a USPS box addressed to NZ.
Just as a matter of interest far as the 'Polish' shredder is concerned, I may be mistaken about its origin but what I have appears identical to the 'Heavy Duty Manual Shredder', (as sold on the WLT site) - except that it has brass bushes, rather than flanged sealed bearings. From what I can determine the model with the bearings is the 'Plus' model, supposedly an improvement on the 'standard' RS 100.
And I say 'supposedly improved' because my motivation for having a closer look at the state of my bushings was because a friend, with a 'plus' machine that has done less than half the work of mine came to me after a bearing had completely collapsed and mangled one end of his cutting rollers.I could bore out my side-plates and replace the bushes with ball-bearings but I'm thinking that, provided they're well lubricated the existing bushes might perform just as well.

So, if I may I would like to keep the re-mailing option up my sleeve when I get a bit more info from that particular supplier .... come to think of it, does anyone know any other source for bearings and/or bushes?

Thanks again

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.