Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Jupiter Burley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Absolutely one of my absolutely favorite Burley variants. I love the high level of Burley it taste.Most of the leafs are smoker than this (around L:60-65 cm and W:35-40 cm) but they also have some really big leaf's..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Jupiter is a Burley from Germany and was the dominated variant of German Burley growers in the late 90's and early 2000s. Jupiter has good resistance to potato virus (PVY) men very sensitive to blue mold. If anyone found "Jupiter CR" that means that you have found a hybrid that have good resistant to black root rot (Chalara elegans). But my Jupiter have not any protection against it (only the "CR" hybrid's). -The nicotine amount is relatively high compared to other modern German variants (the same as most Turkish orienteering). The yield is medium but with a very good leaf quality and good taste. Area of ​​Jupiter decreased in Germany decreases at a uniform rate, as it reacts very sensitive to environmental problems such as soil packing (wet soils).

Charly

Or a small boy lol
:D :D :D

Big leaf indeed !!! I have to measure, but I think I have even bigger leaves :) : BMC#24 !
You say that this variant has a good resistance against PVY ?!! That could really interest me ! Can you give me more informations about the flavor profile of this strain ?
Thanks

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Charley: PVY means Potato virus Y If you or someone else wonder. Because I ain't a smoker myself I choose to quote and share a link to a company; But I can tell that the most BURLEY variant taste more or less Nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts or peanuts In oral snuff (snus). Just this variant is Burley (which I know) that gives the snus the highest / clearest taste of peanuts. "The Burley-Jupiter is a high yielding varieties with good leaf quality and low to moderate nicotine content. The Burley tobacco is different from other varieties of tobacco by lighter yellowing, light brown color after air drying, a specific flavor that is reminiscent of cocoa, and his very good absorptive capacity for by flavorings. Especially the latter feature is important for the preparation of blend cigarettes and pipe tobacco is of particular importance, for which Virginia and Oriental tobacco is mixed with Burley. https://www.hipersemillas.com/en/tobacco-seeds/burley-jupiter.html

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I can tell that I have growing one variant that have bigger or longer leaf's than Burley Jupiter and that Is MD#64 (Maryland#64). But that didn't get that wide as Jupiter. And the leaf don't give the same Wight (if you look at Amersfoort they seems to look pretty similar). I also grow BMC#24 and they have big leaf but in my garden (this season) they are smaller than Jupiter. Perhaps I should say that I don't have topping any of my tobacco..

Charly

Thank you Hasse for the informations.
I am interested in PVY resistant strains because I have a lot of problems with PVY here in France (I already had some infected plants last year and this year it's worse... !)

I just checked in my field, I spoke too fast, my leaves are not bigger than yours, they are just about the same size :D
The big leaves of BMC#24 I have this year (the first time I grow this variant) were already big before I topped the plants (I topped them only a few days ago, because I have transplanted them late).
The biggest leaves of this variant are (leaves still on the plants) : 73 x 48 cm (28.7 x 18.9 inches)
I have one bigger leaf, it's a Havana 142, still on the plant : 78 x 48 cm (30.7 x 18.9 inches) it's bigger because the main stalk broke just above it a long time ago, so it grew a lot :)

To compare with other "big leaf strains", the Bolivian Criollo Black gives me much thinner leaves : 69 x 28 cm (27 x 11 inches)

I have some Maryland 609, but since they are infected the leaves are much smaller.

But it's not the size that really matters :) I am more interested in flavors ! I will discover what these variants will give me flavorwise in a few month.
If you say that Jupiter has a cocoa flavor, I am really interested ! I will put this strain in my list for 2018 ;)

Have a nice day

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Charly: I understand and can send you some seed after this season (don't have any seed yet), I can also look at the resistance one the other variants I have (I know that I have some resistant variants). But I most also tell you that even a resistant variant can get "it" (but the risk or chance is smaller). Also remember that for example, this variant is susceptible to principle, everything else. That the number of growers of this type has fallen from very popular to principle zero has, as mentioned, their reasons.But If you like Burley and you have a good year this variant might be one of your absolutely favorites.-so I really think you should try it but remember to change the solid (don't know how it looks for you but that part is sometimes the biggest problem for us hobby grower..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
View attachment 21519View attachment 21520View attachment 21521Close to unbelivable but this Leaf is close to 70 cm long and 50 cm wide.View attachment 21522
Obs I can tell that I normally pick out leaf nr:10 from the ground but in this case I took leaf nr:8 so Leaf nr:10 was: L 67 cm (the same as:26,3 inches). W 49 cm (the same as: 19,3 inches).And leaf nr 8 was:L 70 cm (27,5 inches).W 50 cm (19,6 inches).Can be interesting to know if you look at the pictures with the plant (and counting the leaf's).

Charly

Saddly I don't have enough place to change the location of the crop from one year to another... :(
More over, I have infected plants in every beds, so I don't have any good place...
But I have to do what I can with that :)

I also had problems with blue mold last year (this year I have not seen it YET...), on bright leaf strains only.
I know that resistant strains are only resistant up to a certain point, but it's better than not resistant at all :D

Some strains I am growing this year seem to be resistant to PVY, they have no symptoms : Xanthy, Bolivian Criollo Black, Nostrano del Brenta, Bahia.
Some other strains are more or less infected, some are really badly infected (Harrow Velvet for example)

That's very kind of you, if you can share some seeds :) I may have some interesting strains for you too.
I would be happy if you know some others resistant strains, since I am growing a lot of different varieties to find which one grow better in my garden.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I have information on Harrow velvet on my computer, and I am not shore but if I don't remember wrong it have "M" resistance for blue molds (but I can check later (and make a info page for Harrow velvet).

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Thanks ChinaVoodoo, you are right, I wonder if I mixed up different things but I shall see what I have written about Harrow velvet after I have put the kid in bed. Page 50-52 one this is really interesting: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2016/aac-aafc/agrhist/A54-2-10-1978-eng.pdf The chance for a "M" in blue molds is really hard to believe..

Charly

Beautiful document China !! I love this old fashionned news paper !!

I have to add that I harvested all the leaves from Harrow Velvet when I remove the stalks (the Harrow Velvet plants were so much infected with PVY (every leaf on every plant, which were only 1 feet high...).
All the leaves have now color cured very nicely to a light brown (it's really an easy strain for color curing !).
Perhaps these leaves will be good to smoke after all :) ...

When I see that removing the infected plants did not reduce the global infection, I wonder if it was a good idea to remove the plants... I should have left them in the ground...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For plant infections that come from the soil, or by insects from common weeds, removing affected plants doesn't appear to make any difference in its spread among the tobacco plants. Some uncommon bacterial infections, like Wildfire (https://www.ipmimages.org/browse/subthumb.cfm?sub=6946&area=62) will rapidly spread if the affected plants are not removed and destroyed.

In my growing experience, I've seen no significant spreading by allowing the affected plants to keep growing for:
  • TMV (tobacco mosaic virus)
  • TSWV (tomato spotted wilt virus)
  • TEV (tobacco etch virus)
  • Brown Spot (alternaria) mild infections
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.