But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud
For man's been endowed with a mushroom-shaped cloud
And we know for certain that some lovely day
Someone will set the spark off
And we will all be blown away!!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
While I was stationed in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, during the Iran-Iraq war, the Intel officer and I surreptitiously brought a tape player into the daily classified intelligence briefing with the base commander. Following the weather report from the meteorologist, the Intel officer stood, went to the lectern, then gave a secret signal to me, at which time I started the tape player with the Kingston Trio's Merry Minuet. (We weren't sure if the commander would blow his top over this.) The commander at first seemed startled, then began to sing along. He knew the lyrics from memory.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bob it's something special with memories from the Military service, even if I live in Sweden (the country how have staying out of war longest) I can tell alot of story's from my own. But please Bob tell us more

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll mention that during my two USAF deployments to Riyadh, Saddam Hussein was America's BFF (best friends forever). It was 4-5 years after the revolution in Iran that overthrew the Shah. Saddam was our BFF, until he wasn't. Within an E3-A radar plane that flew in circles over Saudi Arabia for 12 hour flights, I could watch the radar blips of aircraft taking off from Iran and from Iraq, converging, then returning home (only one of the two).

The Mujaheddin in Afghanistan were our BFF while the Russians (the USSR then) were there, but then some of them ended up becoming the Taliban, after the Russians left. So the Taliban has been using US weapons against our troops for well over a decade.

What I find curious about the Kingston Trio song, Merry Little Minuet, is that it never seems outdated. Many of their songs from the 1950s and 60s are like that. (e.g. in Bad Man's Blunder, a judge says, "...this here killin' of deputy sheriffs has just naturally got to stop.")

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The summary from today. It's alright. It's all going to be alright.

Good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.