Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Custom Firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryccf

BigBonner - if it helps, i was in the firearms business, first as an importer then as a manufacturer. Up thru 1995 i advertised in paper media without offering customers the use of credit card svc on their purchases, ie they had to mail in payment. One out three, sometimes 2 out of three would put off mailing in the pmt and then loose interest and forget all about the item they'd called in on. When i started offering mastercard & visa, my sales volume tripled immediately and grew exponentially from there.

Then back in 1996 a friend dragged me kicking and screaming into the computer age and I built a website with an online order page, and the sales that would be online waiting for me to download in the morning were astronomical. The convenience to the customer of being able to order at midnight or whatever time, and not having to remember to call in during business hours was a big factor, plus it saved me a lot of time on the phone with customers. Just saying - it's well worth it, on so many levels.

fwiw

Alpine

Re: Whole leaf tobacco

Firearms? You got my attention Larry... A firearm manufacturer isn't easy to find these days! Are you willing to tell us more in the proper section of the forum?

pier

larryccf

short bio - i was CCFA.com - imported high end exotica accessories as well as sniper rifles from switzerland, germany & france, as well as carried high end optics including raytheon thermal imaging scopes that retailed for $37K - you'd be surprised at how many people that can afford those, sometimes for use on safaris in africa but surprisingly a lot of texas & oklahoma cattle ranchers who used them for coyotes (both the 4 legged kind as two legged varieties). Also manufactured (actually still do) a swiss line of pistol/rifle suppressors under license. Shut down ccfa.com to start ccfraceframes.com producting metal replacement frames for glocks. Just shut it down about 1.5 years ago

I generally don't mention what i did for a living, but in a tobacco forum it's a little safer to "come out of the closet" so to speak

ArizonaDave

short bio - i was CCFA.com - imported high end exotica accessories as well as sniper rifles from switzerland, germany & france, as well as carried high end optics including raytheon thermal imaging scopes that retailed for $37K - you'd be surprised at how many people that can afford those, sometimes for use on safaris in africa but surprisingly a lot of texas & oklahoma cattle ranchers who used them for coyotes (both the 4 legged kind as two legged varieties). Also manufactured (actually still do) a swiss line of pistol/rifle suppressors under license. Shut down ccfa.com to start ccfraceframes.com producting metal replacement frames for glocks. Just shut it down about 1.5 years ago

I generally don't mention what i did for a living, but in a tobacco forum it's a little safer to "come out of the closet" so to speak

I personally can't afford a $37k scope, and rarely used one, except in distances over 500 yards on a .308. But hey, I'm getting older, maybe an affordable scope is in order?

larryccf

honestly, half the guys that bought one couldn't hit a barn locked inside - had one doctor (neurosurgeon) that spent about $100K a year with me on high end rifles, optics etc. One year he bought an Erma SR100 from me (interchangeable calibers) and he complained that he couldn't get it to print on a 24"x24" target. He was from NY but had a 1200 acre plantation down here in VA that had frontage on the potamac and another river. So i suggested we meet at the "farm" one Saturday morning. We did, and i set up a target at 100 yds, pulled the bolt out and centered the bore of the barrel (as close as i could by eye) on the target, and put 3 shots thru. Three shots, all 3 were on the paper, high and off to one side but still on the paper. So i dialed the elevation down a bit and brought the windage over some, and told him to shoot, and let him walk the rounds to the bullseye by adjusting the scope after each 3 shots. 12 shots later he'd gotten one round on the cardboard.

the raytheon thermal imaging scope was priced more for the technology - it would pick up and display a 1/2 degree F temp difference at 100 yards, but it was not an accuracy instrument - you weren't going to punch sub moa groups with it, day or night. But you could read a soldier's name tag on his shirt at night, as the black lettering would be a little colder than the green shirt around it. I came to the conclusion that a lot of my doctor customers bought the high end stuff cause they were used to playing with high end technology in their day jobs (doc own an MRI clinic), and simply wanted the same kind of upper end technology in their "play" environment. Hell, a lot of my customers were national sports team members (football and baseball) and i'm sure half bought because their buddy had bought one, basically a "big boys toys" version of keeping up with the joneses.

That $37K price was back in the late 90s - early 2000s. Today everyone is offering decent capability thermal imaging scopes for $3k - $8K.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The atf covers my interests too.
Metal flocks, never seen one.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Larry ( Good Name ) Thanks for the info on websites
I can see it now a $37,000 scope on my 30-06 deer rifle . I can't afford high priced guns , just the cheap ones for hunting and home protection . I don't have a concealed carry license , don't need one right now but maybe someday .

Larry

larryccf

what's crazy right now in the firearms industry is everyone (ie major mfgrs) have come out with hellacious decent quality bolt action rifles for $350-$500 - savage started it with the AXIS II, decent qualtiy moa bolt action rifle with chinese glass on it, for retail $399, wholesale $305 - and the glass isn't bad. A buddy of mine, could afford anything out there, has one in four different calibers, uses one for prairie dogs. THen Ruger came out with their American Ranch rifle - same thing - retail is $499, but wholesale is $345, no glass on it but does come with a picatinny rail built in. And remington just followed suit - if you think back, in the late 90s, a $700 bolt action rifle was the low end - this is 20+ years later

Status
Not open for further replies.