Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT on blindmanspuff.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Impressive, Marc. If there is one characteristic of your cigar rolling that I would be confident is equal to or better than that of the "premium" factory sticks, it is consistency. You are the most careful and deliberate torcedor that I know of. By contrast, the reviewers were all over the map in their textual descriptions of the construction. (It reminds me of Roger Ebert's "thumbs down" for the movie, Titanic. Hmmm...11 Oscars.)

As for the blend, we all know this was top notch leaf, and that each individual cigar contained the very same blend. But again, the reviewers seem befuddled. Some experienced wild orgies of food fantasy, while others tasted only a sharp stick in the eye.

The numerical scores seem to contrast starkly with the textual ballast. These are all scores we expect from our favorite commercial cigars.

Bob's Conclusions:
  1. WLT sells excellent cigar leaf.
  2. MarcL rolls consistent, well constructed, visually attractive cigars that any of us would be delighted to smoke.
  3. Formal (or...gulp!...paid) cigar reviewers are an awful source for learning about the qualities of a particular cigar.
[I should add that the only time I pay any attention to cigar reviews is when they are written by a large number of purchasers of the cigar who report a similar issue (e.g. they come unwrapped, or they draw poorly). Cigar reviews by purported experts are nearly always useless verbiage. Sorry.]

Bob [I'll give myself an 88 for this post.
FourBalls.JPG
(1)]

MarcL

Thank you all for the kind words.
between you and me Bob, they were not all the same. I don't really know you but, I Love you man. maikaʻi ka ola .have the best of year

MarcL

This all was very fun! Think now how much more fun and, higher rated it could be to do it again with our added experiences.
Thank you Matt (@A Huge Nerd) as well as all the contributors at Blind Man's Puff for doing this for us.
A special thanks to @FmGrowit (Donald J. Carey wholeleaftobacco.com) for your support.

MarcL

Thank you all.

Editorial: Home Roll Cigar Series | Award Winners

Posted by Matthew T. | Jun 22, 2018 | All, David F., Diana, Editorial, Featured, Jason H. | 0 |

I must admit, when I approached the home rollers on the BOTL web forum about a friendly contest, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I learned that coordinating a series of this type is a big logistical challenge for which I was unprepared. In the end, it was a good experience for me. I hope it was also a good experience for those who participated, and especially our readers.
We are very grateful to Don from Whole Leaf Tobacco (WLT), not only for his generosity with the prizes (1st = $200 WLT voucher, 2nd = $100 WLT voucher, 3rd = $50 WLT voucher), but also in the wealth of knowledge that he provided as I was preparing the first article for the series. If you find yourself interested in trying your hand at rolling your own cigars after reading this series, be sure to look to WLT when you are ready to get started.
Without further ado, here are the top three finishers and prize winners in the Blind Review Home Roll Contest.

IODvfT8.jpg

1st Place: BLIND CIGAR REVIEW: HOME ROLL | BRAZILIAN VILLAIN (Submitted by Brendon S.) Score = 89
Review Excerpt:
“I really enjoyed this cigar from start to finish. While the draw was very tight the flavors and complexity were great. I really enjoyed how the cedar and cream mixed together. The spice increased slowly throughout the cigar which I loved.”
–David F. (dfafjf)
qDI7LLW.jpg

Second Place: BLIND CIGAR REVIEW: HOME ROLL | DBL PRESS NO. 1157 (Submitted by Marc L.) Score = 88
Review Excerpt:
“I really loved this cigar and the smoking experience it gave me. I liked the feel, the draw, the construction and the flavors. I would buy a box for sure. I could smoke this any time of the day and get a great experience. This was a light cigar with a very full flavor mix. Not too much of anything but enough of everything to make it well balanced and very tasty. I had such a nice nutty after taste when I was done. I would be recommend this cigar to all levels of experienced cigar smokers.”
–Diana (ArmyRN)
D8XrzTz.jpg

Third Place: BLIND CIGAR REVIEW: HOME ROLL | HR104 JIM D. (Submitted by Jim D.) ***Score = 86
Review Excerpt:
“In totality this was one damn fine smoke. When broken into portions the ending was a bit of a let down but I believe it was due to being under filled versus being inferior tobacco. My overall perception is that the tobacco has some significant age and honestly I’d love to smoke another one right now. This was an interesting cigar that I feel is worth a shot in your trial rotation.”
–Jason H. (Jokey Smurf)
*** In the series, we had 2 cigars score 86. The tiebreaker for third place was the highest combined Overall Experience score from all of the reviewers of each cigar. That gave the third place spot to Jim D.
Congratulations to our winners, and thanks to everyone who participated!

Last edited:

Jim D

I was shocked and excited to have pulled in third place. We've all grown and improved since those submission, and I dare say with the Cibao Valley selections available now, the judges would have been happier in smoking them!
Thanks Don and WLT crew for supporting this home roller review. I'm already enjoying the new leaf I picked up after the winning coupons were awarded!

Status
Not open for further replies.