Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Don't Take Individual Supplements of Vitamin B6 or B12

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you are a smoker who takes individual supplements of Vitamins B6 or B12, it dramatically increases your risk of developing lung cancer.

...use of vitamin B6 and B12 from individual supplement sources, but not from multivitamins, was associated with a 30% to 40% increase in lung cancer risk among men. When the 10-year average supplement dose was evaluated, there was an almost two-fold increase in lung cancer risk among men in the highest categories of vitamin B6 and B12 compared with nonusers. For vitamin B6 and B12, the risk was even higher among men who were smoking at baseline.

http://ascopubs.org/doi/full/10.1200/JCO.2017.72.7735
A more readable story on the subject: http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/22/health/vitamin-b6-b12-lung-cancer-study/index.html

This is not about multivitamins, but about the individual Vitamin B6 and B12 supplements, which can be 50 to 2000 times the recommended daily allowance.

Bob

webmost

If you are a smoker who takes individual supplements of Vitamins B6 or B12, it dramatically increases your risk of developing lung cancer.

A more readable story on the subject: http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/22/health/vitamin-b6-b12-lung-cancer-study/index.html

This is not about multivitamins, but about the individual Vitamin B6 and B12 supplements, which can be 50 to 2000 times the recommended daily allowance.

Bob

I do. Didn't know that. They're going in the trash right now.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I wouldn't start throwing your vitamins in the trash based on one study.

The study was an Observational Study which is probably the poorest type of study to conduct if you are looking for scientific evidence.
The study showed no effect on women
Most people buy cheap vitamins. If so, then they are consuming the synthetic versions of B6( pyridoxine) as opposed to the metabolically active and more expensive form (Prydoxal 5-phosphate) as well as synthetic B12 (Cyanocobalamin) as opposed to the body's natural form (Methylcobalamin).

B6 and B12 are important components for lowing Homocysteine levels. The higher your Homocysteine level the greater your rate of brain atrophy. In addition, lowering Homocysteine lowers risk of heart disease (if lowered to about a level of 8).

So.. It's way to early to be jumping ship.

OldDinosaurWesH

Beef is an excellent natural source of "B" vitamins, as well as having a complete spectrum of the amino acids necessary for good nutrition.

webmost

I wouldn't start throwing your vitamins in the trash based on one study.

The study was an Observational Study which is probably the poorest type of study to conduct if you are looking for scientific evidence.
The study showed no effect on women
Most people buy cheap vitamins. If so, then they are consuming the synthetic versions of B6( pyridoxine) as opposed to the metabolically active and more expensive form (Prydoxal 5-phosphate) as well as synthetic B12 (Cyanocobalamin) as opposed to the body's natural form (Methylcobalamin).

B6 and B12 are important components for lowing Homocysteine levels. The higher your Homocysteine level the greater your rate of brain atrophy. In addition, lowering Homocysteine lowers risk of heart disease (if lowered to about a level of 8).

So.. It's way to early to be jumping ship.

I didn't know that. I'm dumpster diving right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.