Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

simple, reusable stalk hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I tried spearing stalks, nailing stalks, zip tying stalks and rope tying stalks. I won't even mention the time I tried dangling by the bottom leaf and how many times they came down.

I think I 1 upped the tobacco industry here, 1" stainless s hooks. At first I thought I should sharpen them so I could punch through the woody exterior of the stalk easier but the thought of sharpening hundreds of hooks was daunting.

No matter though, I found an easier way: at the base of each leaf where it attaches to the stalk there is a soft spot. The s hook enters rather easily with a square base, rotate it and it firmly engages the woody exterior of the stalk. These can then be hung till done and reused the next year. No trying to get a sharp nail in at just the right angle, no need for a fancy spear head and a crap ton of wooden poles. Just hang rope straight, fit a hook and hang it.

Edit to add the photos:

5 dollars for 100 s hooks on Amazon, I got 3 packs and don't intend to ever do more than 300 plants again, so should be lifetime supply.

Insert at an angle right at the base, it's a small soft spot but you'll develop the knack for finding it quick.
View attachment 21761
IMG_20170823_173954.jpg

Rotate hook up so it will hang, it moves easily in the pith and holds weight on the woody part.
View attachment 21762
IMG_20170823_174002.jpg

Takes a second or two, then hang it.
View attachment 21763
IMG_20170823_174020.jpg

Rinse, repeat
View attachment 21764
IMG_20170823_173845.jpg
View attachment 21765
IMG_20170823_173817.jpg

Last edited:

BigBonner

Founding Member
Awh spearing on a stick is easy . I have done it so many times .
What are you using for a spear ?

Here is my knife and spear . The spear we use is round up north in cigar country they use a flat spear to put on laths . My sticks are sharpened a little to keep the spear from moving . A lot of my sticks are 50 years old .
YZtD8.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
When I first posted it the pictures showed up, but now I see text that says attachment # I don't know if anyone else is seeing that or pictures? I didn't do anything differently

ChinaVoodoo

I line them up, and pop a hole all the way through with a drill. Takes about 5 seconds per plant. Then I run a MIG wire through however many of them. Wire gets tied to nails on ends of sticks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I ran a Google image search for "tobacco stalk hooks", and was surprised to discover that on the first scrolling page of images, there are 7 that are mine (5 of my photos, and 2 of old book images that I had posted). None show my stalks hanging on nails (nails aren't "hooks").

As with stringing primed tobacco, there are many efficient ways to hang stalks. Your choice may depend on available materials. I will follow the "hooked" stalks with interest.

Killebrew_lath06.jpg

From Killebrew.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Those are the exact same ones Bob, I don't know what max weight is but they'll easily do 10 pounds.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I am eating my words on spearing . Last year I grew some Vuelta Abajo and I tried to spear it and it would not spear . It would break the stalk or bust out the side of the stalk .
Now this year I grew some Coroja and Criollo . They will not spear either . When trying to spear the stalks will break or bust out the side .
Priming and treading the leaves is the only way unless you use the hook or tie system .

ChinaVoodoo

I am eating my words on spearing . Last year I grew some Vuelta Abajo and I tried to spear it and it would not spear . It would break the stalk or bust out the side of the stalk .
Now this year I grew some Coroja and Criollo . They will not spear either . When trying to spear the stalks will break or bust out the side .
Priming and treading the leaves is the only way unless you use the hook or tie system .

I'm just a noob, but when I stalk cure, I drill holes through the stalks and run a welding wire through eight to ten plants at a time, then tie the MIG wire to nails on the end of the stick. I'll alternate plants on either side of the stick so it doesn't droop. Really doesn't take that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.