Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Heads up to our Texas friends. A big blow is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm not real big on anything the media hypes up, but this hurricane is going to be something to be careful of. It looks like the entire Texas coast will be raked by the storm with rainfall forecasts of over 20" up to 200 miles inland.

If I were you, I'd head for the hills.

BigBonner

Founding Member
For anyone needing a place to stay . I have a tobacco patch they could stay in .
Hope all stays safe . Who knows what mother nature will throw their way .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
More than 4 feet of rain?
Mike's Weather Page said:
The latest EURO had a spot close to 50".

http://www.spaghettimodels.com/

Live weather page for Harvey: http://spaghettimodels.com/harvey

HarveyRainfall20170825-1831_weather_com.JPG

from weather.com

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Houston has broken all rainfall records. There is already historic flooding there. The current forecast for Harvey is that it will slowly move off shore, then swing around and smack directly into Houston on Wednesday.

212746_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I just heard a forecast for 60" of rain which would be a once in one million year event. I believe I spoke of something like this a year or so ago.

I believe there are naturally occurring weather events that humankind has never seen before. You're witnessing one of them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Harvey_last7DaPrecip20170828.JPG

28 August 2017. Total observed precipitation over the past 7 days.

The highest rainfall amounts, so far, have gone off the color scale used by the National Weather Service for displaying rainfall. But what is most striking is how the city of Houston is in the center of this.

Bob

burge

Calgary had one of those events in 2013 but not as bad as this. I know there have been a couple of deaths and I pray everyone is safe and stays put and gets to higher ground or in a higher building if there is flooding. I am from the east coast originally and the worst we had was back to back to back and that was bad enough.

ZigZagZeppelin

This might be the worst flooding in US history, worst in my lifetime I know. Our church took up a drive and raised over $3500 so far to help. Major league baseball players are starting to donate $10k each for this cause. But it won't be enough, people will need major money to fix or replace their homes. So far not many lives have been lost, hopefully the worst is over.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A person on the radio just said that this storm may result in $30 Billion in damage. That would come to a cost of $92 per man, woman and child in the US. $368 "donation" from a family of 4. And that's just for this one storm--so far.

Bob

EDIT: And the national flood insurance program is already $25 Billion in debt (which it can not repay to the treasury).

BarG

Founding Member
Hello all, Luckily I was far enough away to escape the worst of the storm . My Family Members in Houston all live on high ground luckily also. Being born there helps heh heh. I am high and dry but my weekend is screwed. All of my free labor I was counting on this weekend are going to be unavailable. I sympathize with them.I did have 2 nephews and 1 sister-in-law house flooding and a half sisters car submerged, Man It could have been a lot worse. I feel for them and hope they can recoup. Good luck all you Texans being affected, and Watchout Louisiana! Lake Texigan (what I am calling it) is wild is what they are calling it. A very huge area of flooding. All the areas flooded are my old stomping grounds.

BarG

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
I checked in during the storm but wanted to see what happened first. And Thanks for that. I think we got 16" here. I reinforced a bridge and regenerated my generator and filled all my gas cans, food and water is never a problem.(knock on wood) heh heh.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A person on the radio just said that this storm may result in $30 Billion in damage. That would come to a cost of $92 per man, woman and child in the US. $368 "donation" from a family of 4. And that's just for this one storm--so far.
AccuWeather is now estimating the cost of the storm to be as much as $160 Billion--nearly 1% of the GDP. So forget my earlier estimate of $92 per man, woman and child in the US. We are now looking at $492 per man, woman and child in the US, or nearly $2000 from a family of 4.

This is difficult to grasp.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.