Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

PY KY 171 vs KY 171 Dark Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I was really excited to grow this strain, Jessica had kindly thrown in the unmodified KY 171 as well, so am growing them side by side. Size, leaf number is pretty equal, although the leaf angles on the KY is more acute than the py.
In the background is burley 21 is growing and you can clearly see the dark air py 171 changing color identically to the burley.
IMG_20170824_160954.jpg

Awesome strain so far, the original KY 171 is completely green, while northern growers should appreciate how the pale yellow trait is kicking in now.

Here is the KY 171 on the left and the py171 on the right
IMG_20170824_161012.jpg

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Really interesting to see, even if I already know the difference between them. I most say that I like my LN KY:171 Hope you know how you can see if a leaf are ready to harvest. Leaf's tip down and against the stalk of the plant. If it saying "knix" it's ready to harvest

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting.

Pale yellow (Py) gene and yellow green (yg) gene seem to be the two possible causes of chlorophyll deficient tobacco types, like white-stem burleys, Besuki (tabakanbau) and Chillard's White Angel Leaf. Py is a simple dominant gene. I don't know much about yg.

These two genes not only cause deficient chlorophyll production, but seem to cause plants to mature their leaves in greater synchrony. Also, there are chemical differences in these varieties. One difference is that the chlorophyll deficient varieties apparently produce greater concentrations of oxidase enzyme (which brings about color curing and "aging"). Nicotine levels are not affected.

I would love to find more info on these genes.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bob I think I have Registration link of them (and some other information's) one my wife's computer.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Here is one from the closet of the previous curator when Jessica took over, called simply yellow crittenden I'm assuming it is based on little crittenden. These were grow outs of irradiated seed. Most seedlings died, some were white (literally the color white) some cream. I think only the cream colored survived, here it is growing:
IMG_20170824_161033.jpg

It never got very green. Color curing should be a snap.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I emailed you the PDF Bob
Thank you.

A truly interesting project would be to cross a Py strain with CT Broadleaf until homozygous for Py, and still looks like (and smokes like) a CT Broadleaf. CT Broadleaf has a real problem with drying with green patches. Py is a dominant gene, so the F1 generation of Py KY 171 x CT Broadleaf would have 3/4 of the plants with 1 or 2 copies of the Py gene, and be pale yellow (1/3 of pale yellow plants homozygous, and 2/3 of pale yellow plants heterozygous). Self these, then look for offspring that are 100% Py phenotype-->that's now homozygous for Py. This is then back-crossed to CT Broadleaf until a pale yellow CT Broadleaf is stable.

Bob

EDIT: That's wrong. Since the Py KY 171 is homozygous for Py, the F1 generation would all be pale yellow, and all be heterozygous (only 1 Py gene). Selfing that generation would then get you to 3/4 plants with 1 or 2 copies...

I'm slow sometimes.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Well if you want to undertake the journey it'll give you something fun to do for the next few years. The genetics have been released into the community so the sky is kind of the limit. I admit with piling (when you grow enough to pile) it doesn't seem that big a deal but even so having the leaf literally color cure on the plant with no effort on my part at all is nothing short of amazing.

Jessica did ask for taste impressions on the py vs the plain ky171 though so if anyone detects a difference please join me in emailing her what it was if any.

I'm sure Paul at nwtseeds will have this strain available for next season if anyone wants to grow a plant that does at least a quarter of the work of processing itself, all by itself.

My first prime happens in early August, leaf goes all yellow, nbd. But as the season moves on it's a bigger and bigger hassle to get that green out. It's pretty flipping awesome to watch it turning yellow while still on the plant as my temps start dipping into the 40's.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
That is good to know, perhaps I will order some, Dark tobacco's is little bit my thing and my Low Nic variant have been growing great and if I found it just as good for Oral snuff ss the parents KY:151 I think I shall grow it year after year. SmokesAhoy can you send me that PDF file?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I know that I shall have a file with observations about TSNA (NNN, NNK, NAB and NAT) content in the different KY171, it's a little bit sad to say that I don't seem to found that, because I think it's really interesting to show it even if TSNA studies ain't the first thing I look at when I decided if I shall grow a variant or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.