Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Yayladag & Trabzon, Good News-Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_in_TN

FmGrowit sent me some Samsun from Bob's 2011 crop, which sprouted very well BTW, and also a couple of Oriental seeds - Yayladag and Trabzon. These are old seeds from who knows what crop year and perhaps had various storage conditions over the years.

These seeds were started late on 03/27 in a weak saltpeter and Gibberellic Acid 3 solution. Recipe: 1/4 teaspoon of saltpeter in a quart of water and 1/4 tsp. of 500 PPM, GA-3 (a very weak solution). I started germinating about 1/2 of the packet in a ziplock baggie on a paper towel soaked with a tablespoon of the 'germinating juice'. Used a heat pad to keep the seed at 80-85 degrees during the night. The remaining seeds were put in the freezer as 'back-up'. About mid-morning when outside temps are 70 degrees+ they were placed in shaded sunlight, but with no extra heating. In the 48 - 60 hour period they swelled up a bit and at 72 hours a few seeds showed very faint signs of life, which is noticeably slower than fresh seeds.

A few Trabzon seeds showed definite signs of sprouting with elongated white tips and were planted on 4 1/2 days later, 04/01. After 6 1/2 days, 3 Yayladag were looking good and those seeds were planted 04/03.

The Yayladag had 2 of the 3 seeds actually show their green cotyledon leaves and started reaching up to the (shaded) sun. The 3rd one has not shown any further signs of life and is presumed dead. I took these pics on April 4th:

2033a.JPG2033_R_crop.jpg2033_L_crop.jpg But, sadly my friends they were dead this morning, April 6th. Yes, the 'back up' seeds are soaking and again showing signs of life. So, all is not yet lost.

OK, got the bad news out-of-the-way. Time to move on to the good news... 5 Trabzon seeds have their cotyledon leaves and are looking healthy as of April 6th. Here are pics from the 4th. It has been busy, busy, busy here in Baccyville so sorry for not updating the pics today because they are looking even better.2030_a.JPG2030_crop_1.jpg

I have no explanation for the sudden demise of the Yayladag seedlings. They were behind the Trabzon seedlings by 36 to 48 hours or so. The Yayladag appeared OK in the afternoon of the 4th. Two seeds were showing some green. Then they started looking a bit puny in the afternoon of the 5th (wish I had taken the time to get photos then) and this morning, 04/06 they were shriveled up and lay dead on the peat. Anyone want to jump in here and offer suggestions or ask questions?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps the Yayladag does not need Gibberellin. When used on healthy seed, it tends to cause the cotyledon to grow faster than the root can support it, and it shrivels and dies. Do you have any seed left to try without the GA-3?

Bob

EDIT: I currently have Yayladag growing from seeds sent by OldVermonter.

Tom_in_TN

Perhaps the Yayladag does not need Gibberellin. When used on healthy seed, it tends to cause the cotyledon to grow faster than the root can support it, and it shrivels and dies. Do you have any seed left to try without the GA-3?

Bob

EDIT: I currently have Yayladag growing from seeds sent by OldVermonter.
No, all the remaining seeds are in the 'germinating juice' since 04/03. Even the really weak, small amount of GA-3 in the 'juice' may be too much. Seeds are swelled up and based on the 1st run I expect to see 'white tips' in the next 2 days from a few seeds. I am taking to heart your past advice that germination could take quite some time for these really old seeds, so, the 1st run seeds that showed no sign of life were transfered to a clean PT, moisten with the 'juice' last night. I could go ahead and transfer both runs again, but use only pure H2O.
God Bless, OldVermonter. He sent me a nice batch of seed too. They are all sprouted and doing just fine. He sent me so much seed that I passed some along to others here. Anyway, it is so good to hear you have some Yayladag growing this year because I've read reviews that say it is an excellent tobacco, with mild to medium strength and is highly recommended.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Tom, where did you get your GA-3? I bought a 6 ounce bottle of Gibberilic Acid powder about 10 years ago and I really do not feel like trying to figure out how much I need to get a xxx ppm mixture.

Randy B

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Randy,
See this post on the GA-3: http://www.fairtradetobacco.com/sho...-Old-Seed/page2&highlight=germinating+seed#13

As I recall, the 100mg of GA-3, which came in a tiny Ziplock, like the ones used for tobacco seed packets, had the appearance (in terms of quantity) of the seed you get in a typical 200-seed packet. Since the non-laboratory manner of application probably entails an error of concentration that is considerable, I would just add an amount of powder that will balance on the tip of your pinkie finger into a 3/8-cup of distilled water, and pretend it's 1000 ppm.

My latest approach has been to set the seed onto moist germination mix, as usual, then squirt the misting bottle (set to a very fine aerosol) once into the container. It's comforting to keep in mind that a published researcher used "one tip of a toothpick measure" of GA-3 onto a moist piece of filter paper, and called it 1000 ppm.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.